Jesse Lingard Deal Looks to Be Off
Sky Sports News reports that one of their sources has said the deal is now dead and Newcastle United will be looking to alternatives before the transfer window ends next Monday. Lingard has been keen to leave Old Trafford because of both having had a successful spell on loan at West Ham United in the second half of last season and still not breaking into the starting eleven this season under either Ole Gunnar Solskjaer or Ralf Rangnick.
The issue is said to be surrounding the loan fee for Lingard with Newcastle and Manchester United some way apart in their amounts. Lingard’s contract is up at the end of the current season and Newcastle feel his loan fee should be lower than what the Old Trafford club are asking for and for that reason have pulled out of talks.
It has been a quick change in this rumoured transfer as earlier on Tuesday, Newcastle were reportedly ready to pay the loan fee for Lingard, but with the player’s full wages also part of the deal, they have now decided against the move.
Time Running Out
Chris Wood and Kieran Trippier have both joined Newcastle this January transfer window but the club’s month has also featured many frustrations. Talks over Sevilla’s Diego Carlos, their target after failing to sign Sven Botman from Lille, came to an end on Tuesday, and it leaves little time for a club struggling at the wrong end of the table to bring in players in order to try and ensure they avoid relegation to the Championship, which would be a huge blow to the club’s fans and new owners.