Watford are insisting that star forward Joao Pedro is “not for sale”, despite heavy interest from Newcastle United, reports Jason Burt of The Telegraph.
The Hornets have rejected a bid from Newcastle in an attempt to keep the Brazilian at Vicarage Road for their Championship promotion push.
Watford Reject Newcastle United Bid for Joao Pedro
Watford have rejected a bid of £20m for Joao Pedro from Newcastle United and told them he is not for sale. More on @TeleFootball
— Jason Burt (@JBurtTelegraph) August 15, 2022
Newcastle United Bidding for the Watford Forward
From the beginning of the season, Watford forward Joao Pedro was always the one forward least likely to depart Vicarage Road. Having joined from Fluminense in 2020, Pedro had a great first season with the club before flattering to deceive in the top flight.
He began this season particularly well with his goal against Sheffield United on the opening day making all the difference in a 1-0 win. Pedro notched nine in his last season at this level and will be aiming to improve on that figure.
Newcastle are pushing to sign João Pedro from Watford. New proposal expected ‘soon’ after opening bid rejected, as @skysports_sheth called today. 🚨⚪️⚫️ #NUFC
Been told first proposal was £20m plus £3m add-ons. Newcastle will try again soon. pic.twitter.com/NzlogAXBVT
— Fabrizio Romano (@FabrizioRomano) August 15, 2022
Newcastle are the team who have submitted an offer for the 20-year-old. However, “Watford have rejected a bid of £20m for Joao Pedro from Newcastle United and told them he is not for sale.” If the move were to have gone through, Eddie Howe would be putting the Watford forward in a player pool alongside the likes of Callum Wilson, Chris Wood and Allan Saint-Maximin in the attacking third.
Read More: Aston Villa Forward Joins Watford on Loan
The Future of the Front Three
As previously mentioned, one of the unstoppable triumvirates has moved on to pastures new. Emmanuel Dennis is the latest in a huge string of deals being done by Nottingham Forest after their infamous return to the promised land. His replacement has come in the form of Aston Villa striker Keinan Davis. After helping Forest in the playoff-winning season, Davis is back in the second division with the Hornets.
In spite of a number of rumours, there is yet to be any concrete interest in Senegalese international Sarr. “I think he’s an excellent player and I’m delighted to get him in” is Rob Edwards’ verdict on Davis but there has been little said about any further signings.