Antonio Sanabria Signs for Torino

Antonio Sanabria Torino

Paraguayan international Antonio ‘Tonny’ Sanabria has signed for Torino from Real Betis Balompié, swapping La Liga for Serie A.

Antonio Sanabria Moves to Torino

The Numbers of the Transfer

The 24-year-old striker has signed a four-and-a-half-year with the Serie A outfit. Torino have paid a transfer fee of €7 million plus €3 million in variables.

In addition, the deal gives Torino 90% of the player’s transfer registration with Real Betis holding the remaining 10% per cent as a future sell-on option.

Third Spell in Serie A for Antonio Sanabria

This will represent the third time Sanabria has plied his trade in Italian football. The attacker made his debut for Sassuolo in 2014 before moving to AS Roma that summer. Meanwhile, he returned to Italy in January 2019 – signing for Genoa on loan- where he scored nine goals in 39 appearances.

Now he is back in Serie A, this time in Turin. He will link up with his former Genoa manager Davide Nicola, who expressed a strong petition to be reunited with his former forward.

Torino are currently in 17th place with 14 points. However, they lie just one place above the relegation zone.

Up and Down La Liga Journey

Sanabria had a mixed spell in Spanish football. He moved to Barcelona in 2009 and trained at the clubs’ fabled La Masia training complex. He would go on to make ten appearances with Barcelona’s B team, scoring three times.

During the 2015/16 season, Sanabria was on loan at Sporting Gijón, where he scored 11 goals in 29 games. His goals kept Gijón in La Liga and summed up a successful spell.

The summer of 2016 saw the Paraguayan move to Seville and Real Betis. Over two spells, the striker amassed 14 goals in 54 games. This included three goals in 20 games this present campaign.

His run of goals came very much in various purple patches. Therefore the player will hope for more consistency upon his return in Serie A.

His final act as a Real Betis player was to help his side’s qualification to the quarter-finals of the Copa del Rey by eliminating Real Sociedad 3-1. However, his last outing was cut short by receiving a red card for an attempted scissor kick which hit an opposing defender. It was a bookable offence and his second of the match. Now Serie A awaits Sanabria once again.

Main Photo
Embed from Getty Images


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.