Oxford United Weekly Round-Up: FA Cup Win and League One Draw

Oxford United

This week will be one of frustration for Oxford United as they won in the FA Cup but dropped points in League One.

Oxford United Weekly Round-Up: FA Cup Progress But Dropped Points in League One

U’s Progress in FA Cup

Oxford progressed to the second round of the FA Cup with a 2-1 win on the road at Woking.

Billy Bodin netted his third goal in two games to give the U’s the lead but the National League side hit back before the break against a strong Oxford side.

However, academy graduate Tyler Goodrham netted what proved to be the winner on a wet and windy night in Woking.

The U’s will welcome League One rivals Exeter City in the second round.

Dropped Points in League One Clash

Oxford then extended their unbeaten run to seven games but will feel they dropped points at home against bottom-of-the-league Forest Green Rovers.

The U’s took an early lead through an own goal but could have found themselves two or three goals up inside ten minutes.

However, they were grateful to Simon Eastwood who made several saves to keep their lead intact.

But the pressure from the division’s second-lowest scoring side paid off as they found an equaliser in the second half.

The result saw the U’s drop back into the bottom half of the table ahead of their FA Cup tie next weekend.

‘That Could Be a Good Point’ – Robinson on Forest Green Draw

Speaking after the game, U’s boss Karl Robinson told the Oxford Mail: “I thought the way we came out the blocks was probably some of the best football we’ve played here this year, but I thought we became flippant in our finishing.

“I thought our honesty today was certainly there and the zest wasn’t.

“What we were in the first 45 minutes, in the second half didn’t resemble that.

“Is this a point we look back on in a few weeks’ time as a positive one? Right now, it’s a frustrating one.

“We should’ve took three, we certainly have the players to do that.

“That could be a good point, I really do believe that.

“The players in the first 45 minutes should’ve put the game to bed, and when you don’t, our fatigue was always going to have an impact in the second half.”