‘Evidence of Criminality’: David Ornstein Reveals Barcelona Have Asked Frenkie de Jong to Annul Contract in Favour of Previous Terms Amid Manchester United Interest

Frenkie de Jong

In an exclusive update, David Ornstein of The Athletic has revealed that on July 15, Barcelona told Frenkie de Jong that they have evidence of criminality surrounding the contract he was given by their old board. The transfer insider also revealed that Barcelona’s current board believe they have cause for legal action against all involved in the contract. They have asked the Dutchman to annul his current deal and revert to the terms of his previous one.

Barcelona Have Evidence of Criminality Around Frenkie de Jong Contract

What Has Happened?

Barcelona are currently in the midst of some serious financial issues, and selling De Jong is one of the ways they are looking to resolve this.

In a new report, Ornstein has revealed that the Spanish side believe that they have found evidence of criminal activity from all parties involved in signing De Jong’s 2020 contract renewal.

Barcelona sent a letter to the Dutchman about this issue in July, which is believed to have told the midfielder that they are in a position to begin criminal proceedings as they bid to find where the responsibility lies. The Catalan giants also in similar talks with Gerard Pique and Marc-Andre ter Stegen.

United Chasing De Jong With Alternatives Lined Up

United have been chasing Frenkie de Jong for some time.

On July 14, it was reported that they’d had a bid accepted by Barcelona, and since then it has been all about convincing him of a move to Old Trafford.

Read More: Fee Agreed – Manchester United Take Massive Step Towards Signing £175k-a-Week 27-Year-Old; Only One Obstacle Left

This issue remains unresolved despite it having been almost a month since United made their successful offer, and as such they are now looking at potential alternatives.

Most recently, Juventus midfielder Adrien Rabiot was revealed as a potential United target, and it has now been reported that they have reached an agreement in principle with the Italian side over the Frenchman’s transfer.

Read More: Every Premier League Transfer Completed in Summer 2022