Tottenham Hotspur Match Postponed Against Rennes Due to Covid Cases

Tottenham Hotspur Match Postponed
Spread the love

An official club statement confirms that the Tottenham Hotspur match postponed in the Europa Conference League against Rennes is due to the outbreak of Covid infections at the club. The match was due to take place on Thursday 9th December at the Tottenham Hotspur Stadium but with health a priority, the match will not now go ahead.

Tottenham Match Postponed Following Covid Outbreak

Official Tottenham Hotspur Statement

The statement from Tottenham was released at 9PM GMT on December 8th:

“We can confirm that our UEFA Europa Conference League Group G home fixture against Stade Rennais will not take place tomorrow (Thursday 9 December at 8pm UK) after a number of positive COVID-19 cases at the Club. Discussions are ongoing with UEFA and we shall provide a further update on this fixture in due course.

“Additionally, following discussions with the Health Security Agency (formerly Public Health England) and DCMS advisers, the Club has been advised to close the First Team area of its Training Centre at this time, in the interests of the health and safety of players and staff.

All other areas of the Training Centre remain operational.”

Antonio Conte ‘Scared’

The Tottenham manager has spoken earlier in the day about his fear for his players and families due to the outbreak and there will be some relief that the game has now been called off although the club have said further information about what happens next will be given in due course;

“Discussions are ongoing with UEFA and we shall provide a further update on this fixture in due course”

Conte said, as reported by Sky Sports:

“It is not right for everyone because we have contact with our family when we come back home.”

Brighton and Hove Albion Game Still in the Balance

Tottenham are next due to play on Sunday 12th December against Brighton in the Premier League and as it stands that game is still scheduled to go ahead. The Premier League handbook for the 2021/22 season states that a game can not be requested to be called off if a club still has 14 or more players available who are on the clubs’ squad list.

This is not a usual situation and a global pandemic is continuing to cause many issues with Conte very clear that health must come first and there will be a hope throughout football and the wider sporting community that common sense and understanding must prevail in a situation that could get worse before it gets better.

Main Photo

Embed from Getty Images