Sports. Honestly. Since 2011

Oxford United Weekly Round-Up: FA Cup Exit and Coronavirus Outbreak

Oxford United

A disappointing week at Oxford United has come to end with the U’s crashing out of the FA Cup along with picking up seven positive coronavirus cases before their match at Wigan Athletic.

Oxford United Weekly Round-Up: FA Cup Exit and Outbreak of Coronavirus Before League One Match at Wigan Athletic

Oxford United Out of FA Cup

Oxford have been knocked out of the FA Cup after a defeat in a seven-goal thriller against Bristol Rovers in a first-round replay.

Despite a goalless first half, Rovers took the lead after the restart before substitute and former Gas striker Matty Taylor levelled from the spot just moments after coming on.

As it did the first time the sides met, the game ended level but this would go to extra time. Oxford raced into a two-goal lead with efforts from Billy Bodin and Steve Seddon. However, three goals in seven minutes in the second half of extra time turned the tie as Rovers went 4-3 ahead.

Oxford were unable to find a way back, leaving Bristol Rovers to face Sutton United in the second round.

Goodrham Recalled From Loan

Oxford forward Tyler Goodrham has been recalled from his loan spell at Southern League Premier Division South side, Hayes & Yeading United.

The 18-year-old has put in a string of impressive displays for the club but Oxford felt the time was right to recall the youngster.

Young U’s Progress in the Cup

Oxford United have progressed to the third round of the FA Youth Cup with a 3-2 win over Reading City.

A first half header from Clinton Nosakhare and a brace from Gatlin O’Donkor gave the U’s the win over their local rivals. They will now face Cambridge United in the third round.

Wigan Athletic Match Postponed

Oxford United’s trip to Wigan on Saturday was postponed just three-and-a-half hours before kick-off after the club confirmed that seven players tested positive for COVID-19.

John Mousinho, Jordan Thorniley, Elliott Moore, Mark Sykes, Simon Eastwood, Matty Taylor and Anthony Forde all felt unwell overnight and received positive results from a lateral flow test in the morning.

As a result, and after consultation with the EFL and the Latics, the game was postponed with a new date to be arranged.

Oxford manager Karl Robinson, who tested positive for coronavirus earlier this month, has apologised to fans that had made the trip to Wigan but insisted the club tried their best efforts to get the game on.

Main Photo

Embed from Getty Images


More Posts

Send Us A Message