Tottenham Hotspur Lose Battle, Win War Over Manchester City


It was another world-class night of Champions League football. Manchester City and Tottenham Hotspur headed to the Etihad Stadium for a momentous occasion. Tottenham held a 1-0 lead after last week’s first leg, forcing Pep Guardiola to call for a massive crowd and atmosphere, he got it. And we all got a game worthy of such a world-class occasion.

Manchester City Go Out Despite Beating Tottenham Hotspur

First Half

It was one of the most breathless starts to a football match in recent memory. By the time 15 minutes had been played, there were two defensive mishaps, one massive deflection, and four goals. Then they managed to go a mere nine minutes before Manchester City retook the lead through Raheem Sterling’s second goal of the night.

Manchester City had been pegged and then passed over by two lovely goals from Heung-Min Son, and two mistakes from Aymeric Laporte. The big French centre-back first played a clearance right to Son, and then a poor touch led to the second. The fifth goal was scored by Bernardo Silva playing the ball off the inside of Danny Rose’s leg.

But not surprisingly, after those first five goals, the game settled down a bit. Manchester City took control of the tempo and started controlling the ball. But Tottenham did not stop coming at City, and it was Heung-Min Son leading the charge. He had a chance that flashed just wide of Ederson’s far post. Everything he did in the first half seemed to be world-class.

At halftime, the game was still 3-2 with both sides calming down as the first half wore on. Frankly, everyone involved, supporters and myself included, needed a breather after such a wild first half. With 45 minutes left there was still plenty of drama to come.

Second Half

As the second half began City tried to turn the screw. First Raheem Sterling had a chance saved by Hugo Lloris after a lovely move. Then Kevin De Bruyne forced a world-class save from the French World Cup winner just a few minutes later. And as happened in the first half Spurs were still feisty.

Son had another world class cross that Fernando Llorente was unable to turn past Ederson. But as has happened all season with City, they struck right back. Kevin De Bruyne made another fantastic run through the midfield to get the ball through to Sergio Aguero. Aguero, the rifled the ball past Lloris to give Manchester City their first lead in the tie.

The first fifteen minutes after the goal were a bit sloppy from both sides with Manchester City creating the strongest chances. Both Ederson and Lloris were forced to make saves, but nothing was scored. Until the 75’ when the ball was put into the back of the net by Fernando Llorente. It went to VAR as might have glanced off his arm, but was given, and Spurs had the advantage again

For the next twenty minutes, Manchester City battered Tottenham as much as they could. They tried and they tried, they moved Spurs around as much as they could. And despite one massive VAR offsides call, Tottenham Hotspur held on. Sterling put the ball in the back of the net but VAR correctly ruled Sergio Aguero offsides.


The craziest game of football in some time was finally over. Manchester City had won the game 4-3, but Tottenham Hotspur had won the tie 4-4 on away goals. Manchester City had done everything that they could but was done in by too many mistakes in crucial places. But this is no place to bring those up.

This was one of the greatest games of football ever. The drama that makes this sport so great was on display everywhere. We had goals, we had controversy, we had plenty of VAR ruling but we all got to enjoy a brilliant product in the end. There is no reason to shame anyone for their performance, these players gave it they’re all in a world-class game.

Main Photo
Embed from Getty Images