Sports. Honestly. Since 2011

Bob Melvin Leaves Padres, Hired as Giants Manager

Bob Melvin Giants

Bob Melvin is set to become the next manager for the San Francisco Giants The Athletic’s Andrew Baggarly reports. The Giants manager search came was over the weekend after Melvin was granted permission from the San Diego Padres to formally interview for the position. Melvin will become the 40th manager in franchise history and the 18th in the San Francisco era. The move comes after Gabe Kapler was dismissed on September 29 following a four-year run.

The rest of the Giants coaching staff, including bench coach Kai Correa, third-base coach Mark Hallberg and assitant coach Alyssa Naken, were the internal candidates for the position.

Bob Melvin Is Back Home

The move comes with another homecoming for Melvin who is a Bay Area native himself. He attended Menlo-Atherton High School and Cal before catching for 10 seasons in the majors. Three of them came with the Giants from 1986 through 1988. A three-time Manager of the Year (twice in 2012 and 2018 with the Oakland A’s), Melvin has a career 1,517-1,425 managerial record over 20 years. He was previously manager with the Seattle Mariners (2003-2004), Arizona Diamondbacks (2005-2009), Oakland (2011-2021) and San Diego (2022-2023).

Bob Melvin and the Padres Drama?

San Diego limped into the postseason with an 89-73 record and overcame the Fernando Tatis Jr. suspension. They took down the Los Angeles Dodgers to reach the NLCS against the Philadelphia Phillies. However, more drama was happening at all levels of the organization that caught up to the Padres this past season. They finished with a winning record of 82-80 and missed the postseason despite a $250 million payroll and a 104+ run differential that was behind the Dodgers and Atlanta Braves. Melvin had one year left on the initial three-year deal he signed with the Padres, but there was the possibility he could become available following a rift between him and general manager A.J. Preller.

Melvin will hope to follow in the footsteps of Bruce Bochy, who left the Padres following the 2006 season. He went on to win three World Series titles with the Giants and he steered the Texas Rangers to the Fall Classic this season.

Photo Credit: © Joe Camporeale-USA TODAY Sports

Share:

More Posts

Send Us A Message