Bournemouth Sack Head Coach Just Four Games into Premier League Season in Wake of Massive Defeat

Scott Parker

Bournemouth have confirmed that they have parted company with head coach Scott Parker just four games into the Premier League season.

The Cherries were on the end of a 9-0 thumping by Liverpool on Saturday – equalling the record win for a team in the Premier League – and they currently sit 17th in the table after one win from their opening four games.

Bournemouth Sack Head Coach Scott Parker

Club Statement

In a short statement, club owner Maxim Demin said: “I would like to place on record my gratitude to Scott and his team for their efforts during their time with us. Our promotion back to the Premier League last season under his tenure will always be remembered as one of the most successful seasons in our history.

“However, in order for us to keep progressing as a team and a club as a whole, it is unconditional that we are aligned in our strategy to run the club sustainably. We must also show belief in and respect for one another. That is the approach that has brought this club so much success in recent history, and one that we will not veer from now. Our search for a new head coach will begin immediately.”

Parker Open About Situation

After winning promotion as Championship runners-up last season, Bournemouth have made just five signings so far going into the new Premier League campaign.

Three of those have been free transfers, while the biggest fee spent was just £13.5 million on Feyenoord’s Marcos Senesi.

Parker has been open about the fact he feels the squad was underequipped to compete in the league and he said he was “not too surprised” after the 9-0 hammering against Liverpool.

He told reporters: “In the sense of the result, I am probably not too surprised to be honest with you – in the sense of the levels we are playing against here and the quality is just far greater than we have at this present moment in time, at our disposal.”

He added: “At this moment we are just a little bit unequipped from where we’ve come from, from what we have. It’s proved a bit difficult.”

Going Forward

Bournemouth have confirmed that first-team coach Gary O’Neil will take interim charge of the side. He will be assisted by Shaun Cooper and Tommy Elphick.

The Cherries’ next game sees them face Wolverhampton Wanderers tomorrow.

Embed from Getty Images

Tough Start

It’s hard to imagine that this decision is a result of Bournemouth’s performances this season.

After their surprise opening day win over Aston Villa, they have faced Manchester City, Arsenal and Liverpool – three of the toughest tests in the division.

While losing those games by an aggregate score of 16-0 is hardly ideal, they’re not the games where Bournemouth would be expected to pick up points anyway.

In his statement, Demin seemed to suggest that the views of the board and of Parker were not aligned, and that was backed up by Parker’s comments after the Liverpool match.

This seems to be a decision more based around a falling out between the head coach and the board.

Any new boss coming in will need to be prepared to take on a very limited squad which likely won’t see any reinforcements added to it when the next transfer window comes around.