Sports. Honestly. Since 2011

Kenny Dougall Brace Sends Blackpool Up to the Championship

Kenny Dougall

Kenny Dougall scored twice to send Blackpool back to the Championship after a 2-1 win against Lincoln City in the League One play-off final.

The Australian scored either side of half-time and brought his side back into the game after an own goal from Ollie Turton had put Lincoln ahead after just 47 seconds.

It means that Neil Critchley’s side will be playing in the second tier for the first time since 2014/15 when they finished bottom. It also continues their excellent play-off record, having been promoted from each of the three EFL divisions via that method.

Kenny Dougall Sends Blackpool Back to the Championship

Recovering From Rocky Start

Things couldn’t have got off to a worse start for Blackpool, who found themselves behind in just 47 seconds. Brennan Johnson charged down the right-hand side for Lincoln and played a ball across that was missed by Tom Hopper and Blackpool keeper Chris Maxwell, and Turto couldn’t sort his feet out in time to clear and instead sliced into his own net.

The Tangerines responded well to their setback though, settling into the game and becoming the dominant side in the game. They were rewarded for their efforts after 34 minutes when Elliot Embleton teed up Dougall who fired low into the bottom corner. Lincoln keeper Alex Palmer may have been disappointed having got a big hand to the shot, but ultimately it had too much power on it.

Blackpool continued to be the dominant force in the second half and deservedly took the lead nine minutes into the second half. Jerry Yates did well to hold up the ball inside the box, and he laid it back for Dougall who fired home again, this time with his right foot.


The Australian had only scored two goals this season prior to the play-offs, both coming in matches against Oxford United. He then found the net again against Oxford in the play-off semi-finals, scoring his side’s second in the 3-3 draw in the second leg of the tie.

Lincoln did turn the pressure back on towards the end of the game. However, it was too little too late, and Blackpool held onto their lead to secure their place back in England’s second tier.


Main Photo

Embed from Getty Images


More Posts