Sports. Honestly. Since 2011

Chaos reigns at TQL Stadium for 4-4 draw from FC Cincinnati and NYCFC

Chaos reigns at TQL Stadium

CINCINNATI, OH – Chaos reigns from TQL Stadium as eight goals between FC Cincinnati and NYCFC see the two sides play to a 4-4 draw with a hat-trick for Brenner and a brace from Héber.

Chaos reigns at TQL Stadium for 4-4 draw from FC Cincinnati and NYCFC

Cincinnati breakaway in the early going

The first opportunity would fall for FC Cincinnati in the 15th minute as Ray Gaddis won the ball off a Sean Johnson pass and knocked it forward to Brandon Vazquez. With one touch and a quick pass, Vazquez would pick out Luciano Acosta between the NYCFC defensive line. Touching the ball just beyond Alexander Callens and darting towards the right post, Acosta slots home a shot just past a chasing and outstretching Sean Johnson to grab the 1-0 advantage.

Just three minutes late as the 18th minute hit, it would be Cincinnati finding another chance as a floated pass from Haris Medunjanin found Luciano Acosta breaking towards the back post. Flicking it back into play towards the penalty spot, Acosta picked out Brenner for a back-heeled shot attempt that just rolled past Johnson for a goal but was swiftly waved off by a review from VAR as the ball had just barely rolled out of bounds.

Cincy would strike again in the 24th minute as Medunjanin received a pass from Brenner and picked out Acosta in a pocket of space between NYCFC defenders. From here, a simple pass beyond the defensive line for a breaking Brenner would result in the Brazillian’s first goal of the night as he slide another just out of Johnson’s reach for a 2-0 lead.

Maintaining pressure, Cincinnati would find themselves on the attack again in the 30th minute with Álvaro Barreal receiving a pass while wide open on the left-wing. With a quickly chopped cross initially deflected by Acosta, Vazquez would attempt to corral the ball but instead floated an unintentional pass to Brenner who smashed an overhead kick to make it 3-0 Cincinnati.

NYCFC fight back even

NYCFC would begin their trek back by earning a penalty kick in the 33rd minute from a weak Tayvon Gray cross which was awkwardly deflected by Cincinnati defender Tyler Blackett and ruled a handball by the official. While Maxi Moralez would step up and produce a shot that was saved by 21-year-old Roman Celentano keeping the scoreline at 3-0, this was the play that helped NYCFC to grab some momentum just before halftime. 

NYCFC would respond to the miss by winning a 45th minute corner to be taken by Gabriel Pereira and hit towards Malte Amundsen on the far side of the box. With Amundsen heading down the cross into a mass of sky and navy blue jerseys, it would be Talles Magno spinning and managing a shot on goal to finally get NYCFC on the scoreboard now down 3-1.

Shortly after with 5-minutes of added time on the clock, Moralez would spark the attack again by playing give-and-go with Magno and working into some space. Breaking towards the box Moralez would pick out Héber; playing in place of a sick Taty Castellanos and making the perfect run behind Cincy’s defense, for a chipped shot on goal which brought NYCFC back within one.

With literally seconds remaining in the first half, NYCFC would earn a free-kick opportunity about 10 yards from Cincinnati’s area and with Moralez lining up over the ball. With a beautifully placed chipped pass, Moralez picked out Héber once again who nodded home a header to tie this chaotic matchup at 3-3 as the halftime whistle sounded.


Chaos reigns from TQL Stadium

Continuing the trend of goals into the second half would be NYCFC in the 52nd minute as Moralez dribbled into space with Cincinnati’s defense in retreat and slid a pass to Pereira making a run between two midfielders. With a quick move, Pereira had Barreal beat and continued on towards the box launching a left-footed shot from distance which picked out the top corner and pushed NYCFC into the lead now 4-3.

Cincinnati wouldn’t go down easily however, finding an opportunity in the 70th minute with Nick Hagglund winning the ball of Magno by slide tacking a pass to Alves Powell breaking down the wing. Sending a pass back into the middle of the field for Acosta would see another shuffle to Brenner with the Cincinnati striker firing from distance himself and squeezing a shot between NYCFC’s defense and past Johnson for a hat-trick to make the score now 4-4.

Cincinnati would end the match by earning a corner in the 89th minute to be taken by Brenner and hit for Hagglund at the back post for a headed opportunity which forced a standout save from Johnson to preserve the 4-4 draw at TQL Stadium.

Embed from Getty Images


More Posts

Send Us A Message