Indie Watch is our regular series that looks at all of the amazing talents working the independent circuits around the world. Some are veterans revitalizing their careers, some are indie prospects hitting their peaks, while others are names to be on the watch for! This edition looks at the current EVOLVE Wrestling Heavyweight Champion, Austin Theory, who has had a tremendous run within his three years of wrestling professionally wrestling in such organizations as THE CRASH Lucha Libre, Bar Wrestling, Combat Zone Wrestling (CZW), PROGRESS Wrestling, and more, all while heading into 2019 with lofty yet realistic ambitions of going to the WWE.
A student of AR Fox, Austin Theory, born in McDonough, Georgia, has been making waves in his short career. Furthermore, he’s at the young age of 21 years. Theory definitely had a plan to get into professional wrestling which consisted of going into bodybuilding at a young age to achieve his goal. In 2015 at the age of 17, Theory earned a Bronze Award for the NPC Georgia Bodybuilding Championships where he defeated 3 other competitors.
One year later, on May 5th, 2016, Theory made his professional wrestling debut under the moniker “The Unproven One” Austin Theory, for World Wrestling Alliance 4 (WWA4) based out of Atlanta, GA. It was there, in his first professional match where he defeated AR Fox for the WWA4 Heavyweight Title. On July 8th, 2016, Theory competed in a co-hosted event by Free Lance Wrestling and CZW where he was involved in a Six Way Scramble match.
On August 12th, 2016, Theory finally made his debut for the World Wrestling Network (WWN) as part of Full Impact Pro (FIP) Wrestling. Since then, he has earned himself several titles such as the FSPW Heavyweight Title, PWA Heritage Title, FIP Heavyweight Title, WWN Heavyweight Title, MLA Global Title, and most recently, on December 15th, 2018, Theory won the EVOLVE Heavyweight Title by defeating NXT’s own Roderick Strong and the former EVOLVE Champion, Fabian Aichner.
On February 2018, Austin Theory had a WWE Tryout which by many was a successful tryout. Theory has since improved and honed his craft while performing for EVOLVE Wrestling. There are many factors that attribute to Theory’s quick success, such as his ability to adapt to different styles of Pro Wrestling, but he has a great look and a drive that is incomparable by many others. In just three years and at only 21 years of age, it will only be a matter of time, before we see Theory with the WWE.
As of late, Theory has been making some noise with reference to going to NXT and the WWE. In his latest promo, Theory calls out none other than, John Cena. It will be interesting to see how far Austin Theory goes in this business. One thing is for sure, with 2018 being a very successful year for Austin Theory, coupled with the ultra-quick success he has already earned himself, 2019 may be a year of even higher levels of success for which Theory will surmount.
The New EVOLVE Champion @austintheory1 is at the top of everybody’s wishlist for 2019 pic.twitter.com/Ya4LSNn02N
— EVOLVE Wrestling (@WWNEVOLVE) December 26, 2018
Catch Up on Previous Indie Watch Articles!
- Indie Watch: Homero Simpson (Mexico), December 20, 2019
- Indie Watch: Damian Drake (USA), December 12, 2019
- Indie Watch: “Red Death” Daniel Garcia (USA), December 11, 2019
- Indie Watch: Royce Isaac$ (USA), November 29, 2019
- Indie Watch: A-Kid (Spain), November 16, 2018
- Indie Watch: Rush (Mexico), November 12, 2018
- Indie Watch: Addy Starr (Canada), October 24, 2018
- Indie Watch: Puma King (Mexico), October 14, 2018
- Indie Watch: Kevin Ku (USA), October 11, 2018
- Indie Watch: The Filip Brothers (Australia), October 10, 2018
- Indie Watch: Daga (Mexico), October 9, 2018
- Indie Watch: Salina de la Renta (Puerto Rico), October 5, 2018
- Indie Watch: Sheldon Jean (Canada), September 29, 2018
- Indie Watch: King Khash (USA/Persia), September 25, 2018
- Indie Watch: Martina ‘The Session Moth’ (Ireland), September 18, 2018
- Indie Watch: Zachary Wentz (USA), September 9, 2018
- Indie Watch: Scotty Davis (Ireland), September 4, 2018
- Indie Watch: SCHAFF (USA), August 21, 2018
- Indie Watch: Bandido (Mexico), August 15, 2018
- Indie Watch: Aiden Prince (Canada), August 7, 2018
- Indie Watch: “The Business” Slex (Australia), May 9, 2018
- Indie Watch: Robbie Eagles (Australia), May 1, 2018
- Indie Watch: Jordynne Grace (USA), April 27, 2018
- Indie Watch: D.L. Hurst (USA), April 13, 2018
- Indie Watch: The Maine State Posse (USA), January 24, 2018
- Indie Watch: The Women of PROGRESS (UK), January 20, 2018