There are four major professional sports in North America, including baseball, hockey, football and basketball. Hockey is the second oldest among these sports. The NHL or National Hockey League was born back in 1917 and the first six teams, the ‘original six’, were Toronto, Montreal, New York, Boston, Detroit and Chicago. Others have long since joined, the newest team in the league being Seattle. Boasting a strength of 25 US-based and seven Canada-based teams, the NHL grows more popular each year.
Like all professional sports, it has its devoted followers. There is great interest in the league’s championships, particularly in the Stanley Cup, the trophy won by the winner of each year’s NHL Playoff. It’s one of the most prestigious awards in North American sport. North American Hockey’s followers may be found in any city that’s home to one of the NHL teams. American-style hockey, also known as ‘ice hockey, is different from its UK counterpart. The major difference is that it’s played on an icy surface. This makes the game even more challenging for the players and more exciting for the spectators too.
Betting on NHL Sports
Hockey is an exciting game to watch, as long as you’re aware of your team and of the game’s rules. It’s an exciting experience for both spectators and players. Once the NHL season takes off again, there are many matches to watch, so if you follow this game seriously, there are hours of pleasure ahead. Betting on NHL games adds to the overall atmosphere of excitement. Online casinos are proliferating and you can compare new casino sites in 2020 here. Whether you enjoy an odd wager or are a professional bettor, you can find a level of betting that suits your preferences. There are different ways to bet on NHL games.
- Over/Under Betting. This type of betting means you’re betting on the number of goals that will occur during a match, regardless of who wins.
- Money Line Betting This means you’re betting on who wins the game.
- Puck Line Betting. In puck line betting, the favourite team has 1.5 goals removed from their total. The non-favourite will have 1.5 goals added to theirs. You can bet on the favourite or the non-favourite. Depending on the match’s result, if you bet on the favourite and it wins, you make a small profit. If you bet on the non-favourite and that wins, you win a bigger profit. There’s some skill involved in this type of betting.
The Business of Betting
We can see the great popularity of hockey in North America, particularly in Canada and the northern states of the USA. In fact, it’s quite probable that you’ll find much better casinos in Canada in 2021. So it’s not surprising that the betting industry is increasingly interested in this sport. There are several reasons for this. Let’s take a look at them.
- The constant popularity of hockey. For a century, the sport has grown in popularity. As an exciting game to intrigue the spectators, it has no equal. It has great exposure owing to the Internet, so it’s hardly surprising that the betting industry is showing an interest.
- Secondly, yet not less importantly, the reach of the Internet has grown, and there is endless potential for online activity. People who might never have had an opportunity to take an interest in the game can do so now. Besides, the development of the Internet has given rise to different online activities. Online gambling is one such activity. By moving online, betting companies have noticed a huge potential audience. Online gambling sites are fun to visit. They have attractive graphics and are easy to use. Online casinos have started adding sportsbooks to their offerings. That’s an online betting shop that offers clients the opportunity to bet on upcoming matches.
Sports and Betting Industries – Complementary Relationship
It’s clear that the sports and betting industries complement each other. The betting industry companies can support teams, promoting their own business too. By keeping their name out there among the rising stars of the sport, the gaming companies keep their name before the sports fans. By supporting sport, they are helping their business by increasing their exposure to fans in the long run.