Ohio’s first licensed online sportsbooks and betting kiosks will start taking bets at midnight, Jan. 1, 2023.
More than two dozen entities have applied for sportsbook licenses and over 1,000 locations have been approved for betting kiosks.
Here’s how to get in on the betting action, which online sportsbooks you’ll find, and why Ohio is one of the best places to watch and bet on sports in the US.
Top Ohio sportsbook apps
DraftKings Sportsbook arrives in Ohio on Jan. 1, 2023, and has already made all Buckeyes a generous Early Sign Up Offer.
It consists of $200 in free bets and entry into a Sweepstakes with a $100K free bet grand prize up for grabs. Sign up through the DK links on this page before Jan. 1, 2023, to be eligible.
DK’s Early Sign-Up Offer also comes with a big welcome bonus for new players you’ll get at launch. It includes:
- 20% match of your first deposit with bonus funds up to $1,000
- $50 Free Bet after you make that deposit.
The bonus funds will be doled out to you at a rate of $1 for every $25 you bet.
DraftKings came from a Daily Fantasy Sports contest background, but it is making an even bigger name for itself as a US online sportsbook.
Its reputation as an easy-to-use platform with more live betting options than most and plenty of promos and bonuses has been well-established in every state it offers odds in.
DraftKings has thousands of live odds, daily odds boosts, and ongoing promos and bonuses. DraftKings regular promos and bonuses include:
- Free Play Pools and Contests
- ‘Bet & Get’ Offers
- Referral Bonuses
- Odds Boosts
- Profit Boosts
- Escalating Single Game Parlay Boosts
FanDuel Sportsbook lands in Ohio on Jan. 1, 2023, as well and has an Early Sign Up Offer to everyone in the state ahead of that date. The offer consists of:
- $100 in free bets
- 3 free months of NBA League Pass
All that’s required to take advantage of the offer is to sign up for a new account through the links found on this page before it goes live.
FanDuel’s offer also comes in addition to the welcome bonus for new players you’ll get at launch. That consists of a no-sweat first bet worth as much as $1,000. That means a free bet refund of up to $1,000 if you lose your first bet with FanDuel Sportsbook Ohio.
FanDuel also came from a Daily Fantasy Sports background, but it has become a market-leading online sportsbook across the US.
It has easy-to-navigate software, a great variety of competitive odds, and all kinds of contests and promos for existing clientele. Ongoing promos and free contests at FanDuel include:
- Odds Boosts
- Profit Boosts
- Referral Bonuses
- No Sweat SGPs
- Parlay Bonuses
- Parlay Insurance
- Free $1 million NFL Props contest
- College Football Pick’em contest
BetMGM Sportsbook will bring big-casino-brand sports betting to Ohio on Jan. 1, 2023. Its Early Sign Up Offer to Ohioans consists of:
- $200 in free bets
To take advantage of this offer you’ll need to sign up for a new account with BetMGM Sportsbook using the bonus code PLAYBONUS. However, doing that will also ensure your first bet with BetMGM will be risk-free for up to $1,000 as a welcome bonus.
BetMGM’s online sports betting comes with all the perks a big-time casino brand like MGM has to offer. That means:
- More-than-competitive odds
- More banking options than most
- Access to a variety of ongoing promos
- Leading player loyalty program
Existing perks and promos at BetMGM include:
- Free Weekly Bets
- Sport-specific One Game Parlay Insurance and Parlay Insurance
- Referral Bonuses
- The MGM Rewards Loyalty Program
Caesars Sportsbook is another big casino name coming to Ohio sports betting. The Early Sign-Up Offer at Caesars includes:
- $100 in free bets when you deposit $20
- Entry to win Cavs tickets
To get hold of the offer from Caesars you must sign up for a new account using the promo code NOWTIX. Using the promo code LEGALTIX post-launch will get you:
- Your first bet of up to $1,250 refunded in credits if it loses
- 1,000 Tier Credits and 1,000 Reward Credits in your Caesars Rewards
Caesars Sportsbook is a partnership between Caesars Entertainment and sportsbook brand William Hill. The online sportsbook has:
- Some great perks and promos
- Consistently better odds
- Access to one of the best player loyalty programs out there
Caesars Sportsbook’s promotions and bonuses include:
- Regular Odds Boosts
- Insurance Promos
- Referral Bonuses
- The chance to earn and redeem with Caesars Rewards
How to sign up at an Ohio online sportsbook
No matter which new Ohio online sportsbook you want to sign up with, or whether you sign up on your phone, tablet, or computer, the process is the same.
Here’s how to open a new online sportsbook account in four steps:
- Go to the online sportsbook through any link on this page.
- Download and install the betting app through the links you find there or start the registration process on the website. Either way, get going by clicking anything that says ‘Register,’ ‘Sign Up,’ or ‘Sign Me Up.’
- Fill out the sign-up forms with info like your name, email, and last four digits of your Social Security. Plus, enter the bonus code or promo code you find listed on this page in the space provided.
- Make all your marketing and contact decisions and accept all terms and conditions.
How to download a sports betting app
Sports betting apps turn your phone or tablet into a mobile sportsbook you can use to place bets on your favorite sports 24/7.
On and after Jan. 1, 2023, you’ll be able to use these apps anywhere in Ohio. They’ll give you access to the same lines and odds you’ll find at Ohio retail and online sportsbooks and betting kiosks.
They’ll also give you access to live odds you can bet on during games.
Here’s how to download and install any one of these sports betting apps on your device:
|Download/install any sports betting app on your iPhone or iPad||Download/Install any betting app on your Android phone or tablet|
How many sportsbook apps can I use?
The welcome bonuses for new bettors at licensed Ohio online sportsbooks are limited to one per person. But you’re not limited in how many different sportsbooks you can sign up with.
You can take advantage of each of the one-time offers these sportsbooks have and see for yourself what the differences between each sportsbook is.
After that, you can stick with your favorite one or two for regular betting or continue to spread your action out to as many sportsbooks as you like.
Taking the latter route will allow you to continue to take advantage of all the ongoing perks, promos, and bonus offers each Ohio sportsbook puts out there.
What to look for in an online sportsbook or app
Below is a list of the main things you should look for in a US online sportsbook. Generally, they’re the same things we look at when reviewing sportsbooks and sportsbook apps.
- Licensing: The first thing to ensure is that the sportsbook is properly licensed. Look for the Ohio Casino Control Commission seal on the site.
- Odds: Make sure the odds the sportsbook offers are competitive by shopping around with competitors.
- Bonus: Make sure the welcome bonus the sportsbook offers is competitive by shopping around with competitors. Look at both the size of the bonus and how easy it will be to meet any wagering requirements.
- Software: Play around to see how easy it is to get around, use the cashier function, and place a variety of different bets.
- Promos: Make sure the regular promos the sportsbook offers are competitive by shopping around with competitors. Look at the size of these promos, the regularity with which they run, and how each one works. You’re looking for free bets with no strings attached but will settle for free bets with easy-to-meet wagering requirements.
- Uniqueness: All sportsbooks offer the same standard game lines for big sports. Look for one that lets you bet on something else, like rare sports, unique line combos, or something where you’ve got a tangible edge.
- The Loyalty Program: Check for a rewards program. The bigger brands let you earn points in their big-time casino loyalty programs.
- Customer Service: Make sure they have someone there to help if you ever have a problem.
Do I need to live in Ohio to bet at legal online sportsbooks?
No, you don’t need to live in Ohio to bet at a legal online sportsbook there. However, you will need to be inside Ohio to place bets.
Everything else, including banking, account sign-up, and management, can be done outside the state. You must cross the state line into Ohio to place a bet.
What’s the legal age for sports betting in Ohio?
Ohio has set the age requirement for placing legal sports bets at 21 or older. Online sportsbooks in the state will verify your age before letting you place a bet.
Can I bet on college teams in Ohio?
Ohio sports betting laws consider collegiate events acceptable activities for wagering. Some states prohibit bets on local college teams, games taking place locally, or local college team or player props.
The Buckeye State has no such restrictions.
How do I know I can trust a sportsbook?
Like we said earlier, you can tell a sportsbook is licensed by the state if it has got the Ohio Casino Control Commission seal on its site. Another good indication is that it employs banking methods you recognize as available in Ohio.
Plus, if a sportsbook is listed here, it’s legitimate. We only link out to state-licensed and legal sportsbooks with no exceptions.
What are the major differences between online sportsbooks and retail sportsbooks?
Ohio is giving you a choice when it comes to betting on sports. After Jan. 1, 2023, you’ll be able to bet online, at as many as a dozen or more retail sportsbooks at casinos, stadiums, and arenas, or at kiosks located inside bars, restaurants, and other licensed establishments.
The odds will be comparable, but there will be different pros and cons to betting online and live. Here’s a quick look:
|Online Sports Betting||Retail Sports Betting|