I’m back with some more Completely Random Yet Amazing Horse Racing Facts I am certain you will have come across some of these facts, but I’m fairly certainly many will be new. If you are a fan of sports facts, check out my others at Random Sports Facts.
1. Frankel went unbeaten through his career, winning 14 times, 10 at group 1 level.
2. Goldolphin Racing started in 1992 and has won over 2,000 races worldwide.
3. The Melbourne Cup is known as “the race that stops a nation”
4. Aiden Obrien has won 10 Irish Derbies.
5. Isabraq won 3 Champion hurdles at Cheltenham- 1998/1999/2000.
6. Henry Cecil has won 25 English Classics
7. The inaugural Kentucky Derby was run in 1875 and was won by Aristides
8. Diomed was the 1st English Derby winner in 1780.
9. Secretariat won the 1973 Triple Crown (Kentucky Derby, Preakness and Belmont stakes)
10. Cigar won 16 consecutive races in 1995/1996
11. Gary Stevens has won the Belmont stakes 3 times
12. Steve Cauthen was the jockey when Affirmed won the 1978 Triple Crown
13. Frankie Dettori won all 7 races on Champions day at Ascot in 1996 costing the Bookies millions
14. Michael Stoute has won the English Derby 5 times-Shergar,Kris Kin,North Light, Workforce and Shahrastani
15. Goldikova won the Breeders’ cup mile 3 times 2008, 2009, and 2010
16. Japanese trainers have won the last 7 Japan cups 2006 to 2012
17. The Prix de l’Arc de Triomphe is run at Longchamp, Paris
18. Lester Piggott won an amazing 30 English classics
19. Hayley Turner won her 1st group1 aboard Dream Ahead in the July Cup at Newmarket
20. 8 furlongs is equal to 1 mile
21. Mike E.Smith has won most Breeders Cup races with 17
22. Tiznow is the only horse to win the Breeders’ cup classic twice
23. Powerscourt won the 2004 Arlington Million but was disqualified, a year later he won it again this time keeping the race
24. Sir Gordon Richards won 4,870 races.
25. Pat Eddery was English Champion jockey 11times
26. The Queen Alexandra Race at Royal Ascot is run over 2miles and 5furlongs
27. Ruthless was the 1st winner of the Belmont Stakes in 1867
28. The Cheltenham Gold Cup was 1st run as a jumps race on 12th march 1924
29. Santa Anita race track was opened on December 25th 1934
30. The Kentucky Derby is run at Churchill Downs
31. Henry Cecil has had 70 Royal Ascot winners
32. The Breeders cup was inaugurated in 1984
33. Mister Baileys set the fastest time at 1minute 35.08 seconds in the 1994 2000 Guineas at Newmarket
34. Kieren Fallon has done the Oaks/Derby twice in 1999 and 2004
35. In 2011, a punter once won 1.4 million by picking 6 winners at Exeter, England and scooping the Tote Jackpot
36. BHA stands for British Horseracing Authority
37. The Dubai World Cup was first held in 1996 by super horse Cigar
38. Jerry Bailey has won 5 Breeders cup classics and 4 Dubai World cup races
39. 12 horses have won the US Triple Crown
40. The first Melbourne Cup was run 7th November 1861 won by Archer
If you are a fan of sports facts, check out my others at Random Sports Facts.