What you need to know after UFC 146
By Mark Modeski
Updated: May 27, 2012
There were a couple of bombs dropped on us that should make for some exciting times to come. Here are some of the more interesting ones:
- Probably the biggest bomb of the night was that Brock Lesnar may be poised for a return to the UFC. After receiving a camera treatment from the ringside just before the main event, Brock was seen talking with Dana White and Lorenzo Fertitta. While Dana confirmed post-fight that they had not discussed his return directly, he said it was “possible”.
- As I predicted on twitter last night (@lastwordmark) after the Velaszquez v. Silva fight, Velaszquez will likely be next in line for a title shot versus Junior Dos Santos.
- Dana White mentioned post-fight that he would no longer be dealing directly with Alistair Overeem. Everyone knows Dana’s hardline stance on steroids, and apparently he is the next fighter to be blackballed after his recent positive test. Lorenzo Fertitta will now deal directly with Overeem and his management.
- Strikeforce heavyweight Grand Prix winner, Daniel Cormier, will be coming to the UFC –although Dana White mentioned he would prefer to see him come in as a light heavyweight. This being said, he did not confirm that Josh Barnett would be coming over to the UFC.
- The UFC’s return to the UK is imminent, despite failed efforts to-date for the sport to break in there.
- Despite Arianny Celeste’s recent run-ins, Dana did confirm that she will be staying with the UFC.
- Jason “Mayhem” Miller is done with the UFC after his loss last night, and for WEC featherweight champ Mike Brown has retired after his win.
- Gilbert Melendez will not be coming over to the UFC anytime soon.
One thing is for certain, after last night’s event and the ensuing news, the heavyweight division is going to be the one to watch in the rest of 2012… and likely moving into 2013. Stay tuned!
…and that is the Last Word.
Feel free to leave comments about the event below