The Carolina Hurricanes have announced that forward Victor Rask could be out months after getting surgery on his hand. Carolina already knew that Rask would be out for a while, but it’s much worse than previously reported.
Brind’Amour says Rask could be out months. Serious injury involved Rask cutting tendons and fingers, he said.
— Chip Alexander (@ice_chip) September 16, 2018
Hurricanes Forward Victor Rask Could Be Out Months
Rask cut his hand several days ago after preparing food in the kitchen. New Carolina head coach Rod Brind’Amour told the media on Sunday that the injury is more serious than first reported on Thursday. The 25-year-old cut tendons in his pinkie and ring fingers.
Rask has only played for the Carolina Hurricanes during his four-year NHL career. He’s scored 62 goals and dished out 95 assists for 157 points in 313 career games. The Leskand, Sweden native was drafted in the second round, 42nd overall by the Carolina Hurricanes.
He tallied 14 goals and 17 assists for 31 points in 71 games last season. Rask also added 12 penalty minutes. His Corsi for was 51.9 and relative Corsi was -3.6. The 2017-18 campaign was a career-low in points in a full season for Rask.
What It Means for the Future
Rask was going to figure into the team’s offensive plans despite having a down season in 2017-18. He was going to be needed even more after the Canes shipped Elias Lindholm to the Calgary Flames in the off-season.
Carolina’s path to returning to the postseason has been made more difficult after the loss of a top forward. The Hurricanes made strides in the off-season, but this is a huge setback.
SAN JOSE, CA – DECEMBER 07: Victor Rask #49 of the Carolina Hurricanes looks on during the game against the San Jose Sharks at SAP Center on December 7, 2017 in San Jose, California. (Photo by Rocky W. Widner/NHL/Getty Images)