This season Last Word on Sports will be keeping you up to date on the Arsenal players out on loan, as they continue to develop their skills and prove they are ready to compete for a place in the Arsenal side.
The players away on loan are:
- Wojciech Szczesny (GK), on loan to AS Roma in Serie A
- Yaya Sanogo (ST), on loan to Charlton Athletic in the Championship
- Ainsley Maitland-Niles (MID), on loan to Ipswich Town in the Championship
- Isaac Hayden (CB/MID), on loan to Hull City in the Championship
- Chuba Akpom (ST), on loan to Hull City in the Championship
- Jon Toral (MID), on loan to Birmingham City in the Championship
- Emiliano Martinez (GK), on loan to Wolves in the Championship
- Wellington Silva (MID), on loan to Bolton in the Championship
- Gedion Zelalem (MID), on loan to Rangers in the Scottish Championship
- Glen Kamara (MID), on loan to Southend United in League One
- Mathieu Debuchy (RB), on loan to Bordeaux in Ligue 1
The final day of the Football League season in England saw only two Gunners feature and none of them playing in England. Following a trend that has been ongoing in the later stages of the season, Arsenal loanees in the Football League Championship have found playing time hard to come by. Only Wojciech Szczesny, playing in Serie A, and Mathieu Debuchy, in Ligue 1, made appearances.
With seasons coming to a close, be on the lookout for season wrap-ups for all of the Arsenal players out on loan in the coming weeks.
Wojciech Szczesny helped Roma keep a clean sheet in their 3-0 win over Chievo. Szczesny made four saves in the match, which kept Roma within two points of second-place Napoli heading into the final match of the season.
Yaya Sanogo did not play in Charlton’s 3-0 defeat against Burnley. Charlton were already relegated to League One.
Ainsley Maitland-Niles did not play in Ipswich’s 1-0 win against Derby. Ipswich finished in seventh place in the Championship.
Isaac Hayden and Chuba Akpom both did not play in Hull City’s 5-1 win over Rotherham United. Hull now look forward to the promotion play-offs as they look to return to the Premier League.
Jon Toral did not play in Birmingham’s 1-1 draw with Cardiff, which saw the Blues finish 10th in the Championship.
Emiliano Martinez did not play in Wolves’ 2-1 win over Sheffield Wednesday. Wolves finished 14th in the Championship.
Wellington Silva did not play in already-relegated Bolton’s 1-0 loss to Fulham.
Gedion Zelalem’s Rangers team ended their league season last week. They now look forward to the Scottish Cup final against Hibernian on May 21.
Glen Kamara did not play as Southend United fell 3-2 to Bury to finish 15th in League One.
Mathieu Debuchy started for Bordeaux and helped keep a clean sheet in their 3-0 win over Lorient. Debuchy was solid defensively, registering seven interceptions and five clearances, and even got involved in the attack, forcing a save in the 75th minute. With two games remaining in their season, Bordeaux, who currently sit 11th, could still finish as high as seventh.