Brentford lose buzz as Oxford record comfortable Cup win

Spread the love

30 years on from Oxford United’s famous League Cup win, the U’s made a fantastic start to this seasons campaign, beating Championship side Brentford 4-0 at Griffin Park.

Although the Bees fielded a relatively young squad, League Two Oxford put in a sublime performance against a side that reached the Championship playoffs last season.

Capital One Cup – Brentford 0-4 Oxford United
Brentford lose buzz as Oxford record comfortable Cup win

Oxford United ended their opening League Two fixture in disappointment as they were held at home against a resilient Crawley defence. Despite the 1-1 scoreline, Michael Appleton’s U’s put in a good performance and dominated the majority of the game.

But by the time the Capital One Cup first round tie at Championship outfit Brentford came around, the U’s began the game with the same side that was frustrated by the Red Devil’s, whilst the Bees replaced all eleven players.

The game was just four minutes old when the U’s top scorer from last season, Danny Hylton, had an early opportunity at Griffin Park, but 21 year old goalkeeper Jack Bonham made a comfortable save.

But less than a minute later, the visitors found the net as midfielder Liam Sercombe scored his first Oxford gaol since his transfer from Exeter, striking home from the edge of the box after the layoff from left back, Joe Skarz.

Brentford, who finished 55 places above the U’s in the Football League pyramid last season, soon found themselves two goals down as Hylton closed down the nervous goalkeeper, and the ball rebounded off the striker and into the net.

Three minutes later and the League Two side were three goals up on the Championship side. Bonham, who was now a bag of nerves, cleared the ball, but it fell to Kemar Roofe 35 yards from goal, and the former West Brom player lobbed the keeper in sensational fashion.

By now, the U’s were brimming with confidence, and striker Ryan Taylor could have added a fourth if it wasn’t for the goalkeeper, before Roofe, assisted by Taylor, blasted over.

Oxford goals Sam Slocombe was rarely tested, similarly to the game at the weekend against Crawley, and as half time approached, the U’s were more than comfortable.

Midfielder Callum O’Dowda replaced Roofe at the break, and just three minutes into the second-half he crossed for Hylton, but the forwards header was deflected behind for a corner.

But the U’s were soon to find another, as defender Johnny Mullins slotted past Bonham after O’Dowda set him up, giving the U’s a fourth goal.

Taylor had another opportunity sail over before he was replaced by Patrick Hoban, and the game began to fade out infront of just under 1,000 travelling U’s supporter’s.

The result will give the U’s a huge boost of confidence as they travel to Luton Town this weekend, but for now, Oxford will be in the hat for the second round of the Capital One Cup after a sublime performance.