Sports. Honestly. Since 2011

CanWNT Predicted Lineup vs Ireland In Must-Win World Cup Match

Soccer: Women's Canadian National Team Celebration Tour as Vanessa Gilles in the CanWNT Predicted Lineup

Canada’s matchup against Ireland on Wednesday will be crucial for both teams. Following Ireland’s loss to Australia in their first game, and Canada’s draw with Nigeria, both teams will be looking to win and take a major step towards advancing to the round of 16. One certain presence in Canada’s starting 11 vs Ireland will be goalkeeper Kailen Sheridan, who will lead CanWNT predicted starting lineup at the Nib Stadium in Perth.

How CanWNT Lined Up Against Nigeria On Thursday

Canada utilized a 4-2-3-1 formation against Nigeria on Thursday. From left to right on defence: Ashley Lawrence, Vanessa Gilles, Kadeisha Buchanan, and Jayde Riviere. Their defensive midfielders were Julia Grosso on the left and Quinn on the right. The three midfielders above them, from left to right, were Adriana Leon, Christine Sinclair, and Deanne Rose. Up top, in the sole forward/striker position, was Jordyn Huitema. Sheridan, who has a 50 percent clean sheet rate, was in goal.

READ MORE: CanWNT Rapid-Rising Striker: Jordyn Huitema

The standard formation helped Canada keep a clean sheet against Nigeria while allowing only one shot on target. They dominated possession with 68% of it, but it only turned into three shots on target. Canada had a penalty kick in the match following a foul on Sinclair in the box, but when she stepped up to take her shot she missed the mark.

Canadian Injuries To Consider

Embed from Getty Images

Midfielder Jessie Fleming was an unused substitute in the game against Nigeria. Her absence was felt in the draw vs Nigeria as her playmaking skills have been known to propel the team to victory. Canada faced fitness races with striker/forwards Rose and Nichelle Prince, but both saw action in the game against Nigeria.

While fitness was a concern for the team coming into the tournament and could have negatively impacted them against Nigeria, Canada should be more fully fit against Ireland. Expect most of the squad to be in their best form for this critical match for Canada’s World Cup campaign.

CanWNT Predicted Lineup

Ireland played a 3-4-3 formation in their 1-nil loss against Australia. Australia fielded a 4-4-2, which shows that Ireland was ready to be aggressive against a more defensive formation. Canada will not want to risk being overwhelmed by Ireland’s attack or let their offence be stifled. To maximize their team strengths, Canada could use a 4-4-2 with the two outside midfielders acting similarly to wingers, making it look like a 4-2-2-2.

Sheridan would remain in goal, with an unchanged back four of Lawrence, Gilles, Buchanan, and Riviere. Grosso and Quinn would play as the center midfielders who would tend to sit back on everything except a swift counter-attack. Playing on the right end of the midfield line, and very good at roaming on the right side of the field, is Cloe Lacasse. She was a halftime substitute for Rose, who did not seem to be ready for a full 90 minutes.

READ MORE: Canada vs Ireland Predictions for July 26, 2023

The left and final midfield role will come between Leon and Evelyne Viens, her second-half sub against Nigeria. Leon started the match against Nigeria, but Viens plays more as a striker/forward on the field. Expect Viens to make the start, and Leon to be her sub in this game, should Canada be in the lead. Up front, Canada will have Huitema and Sinclair. Sinclair takes the right side and could play slightly behind Huitema due to her age and experienced passing skills to link onto Huitema’s runs. Huitema will be the target woman to hit on a fast-paced counter as her speed on the left side of the striking duo will complement Sinclair’s presence as a goal-scoring veteran.

Predicted Starting 11: Kailen Sheridan, Ashley Lawrence, Vanessa Gilles, Kadeisha Buchanan, Jayde Riviere, Julia Grosso, Quinn, Cloe Lacasse, Adriana Leon, Evelyne Viens, Jordyn Huitema, Christine Sinclair

Current Odds: Canada vs Ireland

The current odds have Canada winning this match with 62 percent favouring them, and only 15 percent odds on Ireland winning. 23 percent of the odds favour a draw between the two teams, but that would not be the result Canada has been searching for. Predicted to make the round of 16, Canada will be looking for a win, and scoring multiple goals to get the win against Ireland and a spot in the knockout rounds.


Photo Credit: Anne-Marie Sorvin-USA TODAY Sports, of a CanWNT Headshot, on April 8, 2022.


More Posts

Send Us A Message