Top five Hull KR-Hull FC derbies

Spread the love

Hull KR and Hull FC have one of the fiercest rivalries in Super League and Last Word on Rugby has decided to look back at five of the most memorable matches. 

Hull FC 22-14 Hull KR – 2007

Following Hull KR’s promotion to the top-flight, 2007 saw the first Super League meeting between the clubs. 

The home side struck early through Danny Tickle and doubled their lead when Cooke grabbed his second assist, this time for Shaun Briscoe. 

Hull KR got on the board with a Luke Dyer try as they trailed 12-6 at the break.

The game looked over however when Cooke set up his third try, for Matt Sing but the visitors hit back through David Tangata-Toa.

The comeback was on as KR struck through Andreas Bauer although Scott Murrell missed the conversion as they could not level.

In the last minute, the match was sealed with Sid Domic crashing over. 

Hull KR 32-30 Hull FC – Magic Weekend 2012

The two sides met at the annual Magic Weekend, this year at the Etihad, and the Black and Whites drew first blood through Brett Seymour but were soon behind with Craig Hall scoring and assisting a try apiece. 

A Richard Horne try got Hull FC back into the game and Willie Manu gave them an 18-12 lead at half-time.

Soon after the restart they were pegged back through David Hodgson but opened up the gap with Tony Martin crashing over from close range. 

The Airlie Birds looked to have sealed the points when Jordan Turner but Rovers were given hope when Sam Latus dived in the corner.

A grandstand finish was set up with Michael Dobson’s try despite suspicions of a forward pass, and an improbable comeback was complete when Hodgson stormed down the left in the last minute. 


Hull FC 22-16 Hull KR – Magic Weekend 2013 

The following year the rivals met again in Manchester and it would see another impressive comeback win.

Richard Whiting struck first for Hull early on before Rovers crossed twice through Greg Eden and Craig Hall’s sixth of the season. 

Hull had plenty of the ball at the start of the second half but poor handling stopped them levelling and they were mad to pay when Dobson slotted a penalty and Alex Brown dived in the corner. 

Rovers led by 10 with eight minutes left but Tom Lineham’s converted try gave Hull hope before Kirk Yeaman levelled the scores although Daniel Holdsworth missed the conversion.

It seemed as it would end as a draw but Chris Green crashed over to give the Black and Whites the win although replays showed he was offside when the ball was played. 

Hours after full-time, the RFL released a statement admitting that video referee Steve Ganson made an incorrect decision in awarding the try. 

Hull KR 21-20 Hull FC – 2014

Jordan Rankin, playing in his first derby game gave Hull an early lead but Rovers soon levelled through Kevin Larroyer.

Michael Weyman’s converted try gave the Robins a half-time lead but were pegged back controversially when Liam Watt’s forward pass allowed Josh Bowden to score. 

Two Graham Horne tries in three minutes gave Hull KR a 10-point lead and looked to have sealed the win but Danny Houghton sniped over to cut the deficit with Whiting converting.

James Green then spilled the ball with the line at his mercy and the visitors made them pay with four minutes left as Fetuli Talanoa went over but Whiting missed the conversion as the scores stayed level.

Rovers then dramatically won it as Craig Hall slotted a last-gasp drop goal to condemn Hull to their second drop-goal defeat in three games. 

Hull KR 20-22 Hull FC – 2016

Hull KR opened the scoring through Ryan Shaw before Ken Sio’s interception try, with Josh Mantellato’s two goals giving them a 12-0 half-time lead.

This was extended through Graham Thornley as the Robins were 20 points up with 18 minutes left as seemingly on course for a comfortable win.

However Jamie Shaul’s long range try gave the visitors hope before Danny Houghton finished a sweeping move as Hull fought back. 

Mahe Fonua then bundled his way over as the Airlie Birds had all the momentum and Steve Michaells completed a remarkable win with a smart finish five minutes from time.

The comeback was the biggest in Hull derby history in Super League and means Hull had now won four of their last five matches against the Robins. 


“Main photo credit”