Burnley striker Andre Gray has been charged with misconduct by the FA. The charges come after a series of offensive posts were found on his Twitter account.
The tweets dated back to 2012, when Gray was still a semi-professional footballer, playing for Hinckley United. But the FA have still deemed it necessary to charge him of bringing the game into disrepute.
Andre Gray charged with misconduct over homophobic tweets
One of the posts suggested gay people should be killed, while others were misogynistic.
His four-year-old posts resurfaced after the 25-year-old scored one and assisted the other in a 2-0 win over Liverpool. Hours later, Gray took to Twitter to apologise for his comments and asked for forgiveness.
He said: “I want to offer a sincere and unreserved apology to anybody I may have offended in relation to those tweets. The tweets were posted four years ago when I was a completely different person to the man I am now.
“To clarify I do not hold the beliefs written in those tweets whatsoever. I can assure everybody that I am not homophobic and as said previously I can only apologise and ask for forgiveness to anyone I offended.
“Thankfully I am not the guy I was back then and will continue to work hard both on and off the pitch to become a better person.”
Gray has until 6:00 pm on August 31st, 2016 to formally respond to the FA charge.
BURNLEY, ENGLAND – AUGUST 20: Andre Gray of Burnley during the Premier League match between Burnley and Liverpool at Turf Moor on August 20, 2016 in Burnley, England. (Photo by Robbie Jay Barratt – AMA/Getty Images)