This season Last Word on Sports will be keeping you up to date on the Arsenal players out on loan, as they continue to develop their skills and prove they are ready to compete for a place in the Arsenal side.
The players away on loan are:
- Wojciech Szczesny (GK), on loan to AS Roma in Serie A
- Yaya Sanogo (ST), on loan to Charlton Athletic in the Championship
- Ainsley Maitland-Niles (MID), on loan to Ipswich Town in the Championship
- Isaac Hayden (CB/MID), on loan to Hull City in the Championship
- Chuba Akpom (ST), on loan to Hull City in the Championship
- Jon Toral (MID), on loan to Birmingham City in the Championship
- Emiliano Martinez (GK), on loan to Wolves in the Championship
- Wellington Silva (MID), on loan to Bolton in the Championship
- Gedion Zelalem (MID), on loan to Rangers in the Scottish Championship
- Glen Kamara (MID), on loan to Southend United in League One
- Mathieu Debuchy (RB), on loan to Bordeaux in Ligue 1
It was a quiet weekend for Arsenal loanees, as only six Gunners made loan appearances. Another start for Gedion Zelalem was good news for the American youngster, who saw his minutes dwindle as the season went on.
Wojciech Szczesny made three saves as Roma won 3-2 over Genoa in Serie A. The win kept Roma in 3rd place, two points off of Napoli in second, but with a 10 point lead over Inter for the final Champions League qualification spot.
Yaya Sanogo did not play in Charlton’s 2-1 win over Leeds.
Ainsley Maitland-Niles did not play in Ipswich’s 3-2 win over MK Dons.
Isaac Hayden started and played the full 90 minutes as Hull fell 1-0 to Bolton. Teammate Chuba Akpom started and played 70 minutes. Fellow Arsenal loanee Wellington Silva failed to feature for Bolton. It was a decent showing from Hayden, who completed 93 percent of his passes and was heavily involved for Hull. Akpom came close, hitting the woodwork in the 63rd minute. Unfortunately for both players, and for Hull, neither were able to find or create the end product as Hull went scoreless despite hitting the crossbar twice.
Jon Toral did not play for Birmingham in their 2-2 draw with Middlesbrough.
Emiliano Martinez was an unused substitute as Wolves drew 1-1 with Nottingham Forest.
Gedion Zelalem started again for Rangers, playing 74 minutes in a 2-2 draw with St. Mirren. It was certainly an exciting match, as Rangers went from 1-0 down to 2-1 up only for St. Mirren to equalise at the death. Zelalem had a decent game, was tidy in possession and displayed quality movement on and off the ball, as he has become known for.
Glen Kamara started and played 70 minutes for Southend United in their 1-0 loss to Bradford City.
Mathieu Debuchy played the full 90 minutes as Bordeaux won 4-2 over Troyes. Debuchy was solid in defense and regularly got forward into the attack, putting in six crosses and even forcing a save from the Troyes goalkeeper.