This season Last Word on Sports will be keeping you up to date on the Arsenal players out on loan, as they continue to develop their skills and prove they are ready to compete for a place in the Arsenal side.
The players away on loan are:
- Wojciech Szczesny (GK), on loan to AS Roma in Serie A
- Yaya Sanogo (ST), on loan to Charlton Athletic in the Championship
- Ainsley Maitland-Niles (MID), on loan to Ipswich Town in the Championship
- Isaac Hayden (CB/MID), on loan to Hull City in the Championship
- Chuba Akpom (ST), on loan to Hull City in the Championship
- Jon Toral (MID), on loan to Birmingham City in the Championship
- Emiliano Martinez (GK), on loan to Wolves in the Championship
- Wellington Silva (MID), on loan to Bolton in the Championship
- Gedion Zelalem (MID), on loan to Rangers in the Scottish Championship
- Glen Kamara (MID), on loan to Southend United in League One
- Mathieu Debuchy (RB), on loan to Bordeaux in Ligue 1
Wojciech Szczesny started for Roma in their 3-1 victory over Empoli. Szczesny made three saves in the match, including one key save just before the half-time whistle to preserve Roma’s lead at the break. Empoli’s goal came from an own goal, as Szczesny attempted to punch clear a cross from the left wing, only for it to rebound off defender Ervin Zukanovic and into the net.
A Yaya Sanogo hat-trick wasn’t enough to prevent Charlton Athletic from losing 4-3 to Reading. It was Sanogo’s first start for Charlton, and by far his most impressive since coming to England. In addition to his three goals, the Arsenal loanee was tidy in possession, completing 85 percent of his passes, and rarely losing the ball. He managed six shots for the game, all on target, with three finding the net and three being saved. His two goals in the second half brought Charlton back level after being down 3-1 at the break, but a late winner gave Reading all three points on the day.
Check out all three of the Arsenal man’s goals.
Ainsley Maitland-Niles came on as an 81st minute substitute in Ipswich’s 1-0 win over Huddersfield. The Arsenal man didn’t really have a chance to get involved in the game, though he did pick up a yellow card in the 90th minute.
Isaac Hayden did not play in Hull City’s 0-0 draw with Sheffield Wednesday. Team-mate Chuba Akpom came on in the 78th minute for Hull and had almost no impact on the game during his time on the pitch.
Jon Toral came on as a 63rd minute substitute as Birmingham lost 2-0 to QPR. Consistent with the rest of the Birmingham side, it was a sub-par performance for the Arsenal loanee.
Emiliano Martinez was yet again an unused substitute as Wolves won 2-1 over Derby.
Wellington Silva came on in the 89th minute of Bolton’s 2-1 loss to Burnley.
Gedion Zelalem did not play in Rangers’ 1-0 win over St Mirren. The game continues a recent downward trend of minutes for the young American, who has gone from a regular in the first eleven, to a substitute, to the bench in recent months.
Glen Kamara did not play in Southend United’s 3-1 loss to Port Vale.
Mathieu Debuchy did not play in Bordeaux’s 4-1 loss to Reims.