This season Last Word on Sports will be keeping you up to date on the Arsenal players out on loan, as they continue to develop their skills and prove they are ready to compete for a place in the Arsenal side.
The players away on loan are:
- Wojciech Szczesny (GK), on loan to AS Roma in Serie A
- Yaya Sanogo (ST), on loan to Charlton Athletic in the Championship
- Ainsley Maitland-Niles (MID), on loan to Ipswich Town in the Championship
- Isaac Hayden (CB/MID), on loan to Hull City in the Championship
- Chuba Akpom (ST), on loan to Hull City in the Championship
- Jon Toral (MID), on loan to Birmingham City in the Championship
- Emiliano Martinez (GK), on loan to Wolves in the Championship
- Wellington Silva (MID), on loan to Bolton in the Championship
- Gedion Zelalem (MID), on loan to Rangers in the Scottish Championship
- Glen Kamara (MID), on loan to Southend United in League One
- Mathieu Debuchy (RB), on loan to Bordeaux in Ligue 1
Here’s this week’s Arsenal on loan update:
Wojciech Szczesny had an easy Sunday, keeping a clean sheet for Roma in their 5-0 win over Palermo. Szczesny was forced into only one save, as Palermo put just one of their four attempts on target. He conceded twice last week in Champions League action, as Roma fell 2-0 to Real Madrid.
Yaya Sanogo did not feature as Charlton lost 3-0 to Fulham over the weekend. Sanogo came on as a 78th minute substitute in Charlton’s midweek loss to Preston North End. He had a chance to equalise in added time, but put his effort from 12 yards off-target.
Ainsley Maitland-Niles had the weekend off as Ipswich did not play. He also failed to feature in Ipswich’s midweek match-up against Hull City. Fellow loanee Chuba Akpom came on in the 68th minute of Hull’s 1-0 victory, though he failed to make an impact on the game. Team-mate Isaac Hayden did not feature
Hull City manager Steve Bruce said this week he hoped to be able to make both Hayden and Akpom’s loans permanent, saying:
“They have both had terrific years with us and I will be on the phone very, very quickly to see if I can make it permanent.”
Jon Toral had last weekend off as Birmingham did not play. He faced off against fellow loanee Wellington Silva midweek in Birmingham’s 1-0 win over Bolton. Both players came on as second half substitutes. Silva was quite poor after coming on in the 84th minute, completing just two of his six attempted passes. Toral was somewhat better. After coming on in the 64th minute, the Arsenal man nearly scored with ten minutes to go but saw his curling effort saved. He also set up a great chance in the 90th minute but Clayton Donaldson put the shot off target. Silva was an unused substitute last weekend as Bolton drew 1-1 with QPR.
Check out Toral’s almost assist below.
He also did this:
Emiliano Martinez was an unused substitute yet again as Wolves fell 3-0 to Brentford.
Gedion Zelalem was an unused substitute last weekend in Rangers’ 1-0 victory over Queen of the South.
Glen Kamara did not play in Southend United’s 3-1 win over Burton Albion.
Mathieu Debuchy helped Bordeaux keep a clean sheet last weekend as they drew 0-0 with Nice. Debuchy started and played 82 minutes in the draw.