This season, Last Word on Sports will be keeping you up to date on the Arsenal players out on loan, as they continue to develop their skills and prove they are ready to compete for a place in the Arsenal side.
The players currently on loan are:
- Wojciech Szczesny (GK), on loan to AS Roma in Serie A
- Carl Jenkinson (RB), on loan to West Ham United in the Premier League
- Yaya Sanogo (ST), on loan to Ajax in the Eredivisie
- Serge Gnabry (MID), on loan to West Bromwich Albion in the Premier League
- Ainsley Maitland-Niles (MID), on loan to Ipswich Town in the Championship
- Isaac Hayden (CB/MID), on loan to Hull City in the Championship
- Chuba Akpom (ST), on loan to Hull City in the Championship
- Jon Toral (MID), on loan to Birmingham City in the Championship
- Emiliano Martinez (GK), on loan to Wolves in the Championship
- Wellington Silva (MID), on loan to Bolton in the Championship
- Gedion Zelalem (MID), on loan to Rangers in the Scottish Championship
- Stefan O’Connor (DEF), on loan to York City in League Two
- Glen Kamara (MID), on loan to Southend United in League One
Arsenal on Loan: Chuba Akpom Hat-trick
Wojciech Szczesny started as Roma won 3-1 over Frosinone in Serie A action.
Carl Jenkinson was ruled out for the remainder of the season after suffering a knee injury last week against Manchester City. It’s a significant blow for the Arsenal man who, despite having a bit of an up and down season, was enjoying significant minutes with West Ham and continuing his development as a Premier League level right back. It’s been reported that he will have surgery on his cruciate ligament this week, with the hope that he will return for the 2016/2017 season.
Yaya Sanogo did not play in Ajax’s 2-2 draw with Roda JC.
Serge Gnabry did not play in West Brom’s 2-2 FA Cup draw with Peterborough United.
Ainsley Maitland-Niles’ Ipswich side had the weekend off, having already been eliminated from the FA Cup.
Chuba Akpom scored a hat-trick in Hull City’s 3-1 win over Bury in the FA Cup. Teammate Isaac Hayden came on in the 80th minute for the winners. Hull advance to the next round of the FA Cup, where they will face Arsenal. Check out all three of Akpom’s goals, plus his post-game reaction, below.
Jon Toral started Birmingham’s 0-0 draw with Bristol City but was forced off after 30 minutes with an injury. Toral was injured during a bad tackle from Bristol’s Nathan Baker, which prompted manager Gary Rowett to suggest Baker should have seen red. Birmingham midfielder Maikel Kieftenbeld said he hopes Toral recovers quickly, as Birmingham will need him in their push for promotion.
“It was a bad tackle, those things happen in football. I hope he will recover really soon because we really need Jon at the moment.” – Kieftenbeld
Emiliano Martinez’s Wolves side had the weekend off.
Wellington Silva started and played 70 mintues of Bolton’s 2-1 loss to Leeds United in the FA Cup.
Gedion Zelalem came on as a 77th minute substitute in Rangers 1-0 win over Falkirk. The winning goal came from Billy King in the dying moments to secure the three points.
Stefan O’Connor did not play in York City’s 2-1 win over Stevenage.
Glen Kamara, who recently joined Southend United on loan in League One, did not play as Southend had no fixture over the weekend.