This season Last Word on Sports will be keeping you up to date on the Arsenal players out on loan, as they continue to develop their skills and prove they are ready to compete for a place in the Arsenal side.
The players away on loan are:
- Wojciech Szczesny (GK), on loan to AS Roma in Serie A
- Carl Jenkinson (RB), on loan to West Ham United in the Premier League
- Yaya Sanogo (ST), on loan to Ajax in the Eredivisie
- Serge Gnabry (MID), on loan to West Bromwich Albion in the Premier League
- Ainsley Maitland-Niles (MID), on loan to Ipswich Town in the Championship
- Isaac Hayden (CB/MID), on loan to Hull City in the Championship
- Chuba Akpom (ST), on loan to Hull City in the Championship
- Jon Toral (MID), on loan to Birmingham City in the Championship
- Emiliano Martinez (GK), on loan to Wolves in the Championship
- Wellington Silva (MID), on loan to Bolton in the Championship
- Gedion Zelalem (MID), on loan to Rangers in the Scottish Championship
- Stefan O’Connor (DEF), on loan to York City in League Two
Wojciech Szczesny helped Roma keep a clean sheet on their way to a 2-0 victory over Genoa. Szczesny made four saves in the match as part of an overall solid performance that helped 10-man Roma snap a four match winless streak. His clean sheet was the highlight of the week for Arsenal’s loanees.
Carl Jenkinson came on in the 85th minute of West Ham’s 0-0 draw with Swansea. It was West Ham’s fourth straight draw, and they’re now on a seven match winless streak. Jenkinson was not on the pitch for long, but he did pick up a yellow card and block a dangerous shot in the closing stages.
Yaya Sanogo did not play as Ajax fell 2-1 to De Graafschap.
Serge Gnabry did not play as West Brom lost 2-1 to Bournemouth.
Ainsley Maitland-Niles started and played 63 minutes as Ipswich lost 1-0 to Derby. Maitland-Niles had a mixed day, completing 78 percent of his passes and being involved in the Ipswich attack, but was unable to make the difference.
Isaac Hayden was an unused substitute for Hull in their 2-0 loss to Rotherham United. Team-mate Chuba Akpom started and played the full 90 minutes. Akpom was unlucky not to score on the day, twice hitting the woodwork and drawing a good save just after the break.
Jon Toral started and played 69 minutes as Birmingham beat Cardiff 1-0 in the Championship. The win broke a five match winless streak for Birmingham. Toral forced one save in the game, and set up one chance, but was not as involved in the attack as fans have come to expect.
Emiliano Martinez missed another game to injury as Wolves fell 4-1 to Sheffield Wednesday.
Wellington Silva did not play in Bolton’s 2-2 draw with Fulham.
Gedion Zelalem did not play in Rangers’ 2-1 loss to Falkirk.
Stefan O’Connor started and played 64 minutes in York City’s 2-1 win over Morecambe. O’Connor made his presence known early, clearing a cross off the line.