Sports. Honestly. Since 2011

Johnstone’s Paint Trophy: First Round Review

Sixteen teams progressed to the second round of the Johnstone’s Paint Trophy last night, to join the other sixteen that had byes.

It was a night where shocks were at a premium, the biggest being at The Globe Arena where Morecambe ended Walsall’s unbeaten run to the start of the season, with last campaign’s finalists falling at the first hurdle this time round.

Exeter City surprised many by beating Portsmouth thanks to two second-half goals by Ryan Harley and Alex Nicholls.

Table-topping League Two side, Leyton Orient, were sent out of the competition, 2-1, by Luton Town who only sit outside the relegation zone in the same division on goal difference.

It took Sheffield United penalties to beat, what looks like, a much improved Hartlepool United side compared to last season.

Swindon Town, meanwhile, were also left to rely on penalties after a 1-1 away draw against Welsh side, Newport County.

Accrington Stanley lost 2-1 at home to Bury, with a late goal by Gerardo Bruna proving to be nothing more than a consolation.

The all-League One clash between Doncaster Rovers and Burton Albion ended 0-0, meaning that this one also went straight to penalties; thankfully for an under-pressure Paul Dickov, his side came out on top.

The East Midlands derby saw Notts County run to 3-1 against Mansfield Town, a much improved showing on their 4-1 outing at Morecambe on Saturday. Could this win prove a turning point for County to start getting to grips with League Two?

Port Vale sent the Carlisle fans back home on that long trip, with a first-round exit thanks to a second-half strike by Uche Ikpeazu.

Scunthorpe United and Barnsley had both hoped for better starts to the season, so, this was a chance for one of the two to get a little Cup-run together. It was Barnsley who are to proceed, following a 2-1 win thanks to goals from Lewin Nyatanga and Marley Watkins, leaving The Irons’ fans wondering what might have been had Paddy Madden not been rested for the first hour.

Shrewsbury Town will be pleased with a 2-0 win over Oldham Athletic, who are proving to be hard to beat – their only defeat before this coming against Championship side, Middlesbrough, in the Capital One Cup.

Plymouth Argyle came from 2-0 down away at AFC Wimbledon to secure their place in the second round; the win was their first after going behind since March 2013.

Dagenham & Redbridge eased to a 2-0 away win over Cambridge United, but, in truth, the margin of victory could have been even greater over their fellow League Two competitors.

Millwall piled more misery onto a slow-starting Peterborough United with a 1-0 win, as The Posh were dumped out of a competition they have done quite well in, during past years.

Northampton United continued their good start to the season with a 3-2 win over League One side, Colchester United. The U’s fans may be concerned after seeing their side not only go out to League Two opposition, but occupy a relegation spot.

Yeovil Town won just their second game of the season beating Barnet by one goal to nil.

Here’s a full recap of last night’s fixtures:

(North East section)

Hartlepool 1-1 Sheffield United (3-4 pens)

Doncaster Rovers 0-0 Burton Albion (5-3 pens)

Notts County 3-1 Mansfield Town

Scunthorpe United 1-2 Barnsley

(North West section)

Port Vale 1-0 Carlisle United

Shrewsbury Town 2-0 Oldham Athletic

Accrington Stanley 1-2 Bury

Morecambe 2-0 Walsall

(South East section)

Luton Town 2-1 Leyton Orient

Millwall 1-0 Peterborough United

Northampton Town 3-2 Colchester United

Cambridge United 0-2 Dagenham & Redbridge

(South West section)

Yeovil Town 1-0 Barnet

Newport County 1-1 Swindon Town (6-7 pens)

Exeter City 2-0 Portsmouth

AFC Wimbledon 2-3 Plymouth Argyle


The draw for the second round, which will also include the sixteen teams given byes, will take place on Saturday 5th September live on Soccer AM.



Main Photo


More Posts

Send Us A Message