Sports. Honestly. Since 2011

Saint Louis FC Get Gut Check Win, 3-2

Fenton, MO (August 20, 2015) – It finally happened; Saint Louis FC won a home game. In another seemingly must win game, they did so in dramatic fashion: coming back from 2-0 to win 3-2 in stoppage time against the Charleston Battery.

The two sides played to a 1-1 draw in Charleston last weekend. With the win, Saint Louis FC now have 26 points (6-9-8). The are in eight in the USL Eastern Conference, six points out of the playoffs. Charleston have 36 points (9-5-9) and sit in third.

The match could not have started better for the Battery. Heviel Cordoves got the visitors on the board 10 minutes in. A turnover in the midfield turned into a quick counter for the visitors. Ricky Garbanzo sent a cross in and Cordoves alone in front of the box. He directed the ball past Goalkeeper Alec Kann.

Saint Louis FC Get Gut Check Win, 3-2

Then in the 17th minute, Chad Vandergriffe tripped up Maikel Chang down in the box and the penalty was given. Justin Portillo stepped up and wrong-footed Kann.

Saint Louis FC would respond. In the 32nd minute, Jamiel Hardware was grabbed in the box and brought to the ground, earning a penalty. Mike Ambersley took his first penalty of the USL season, and buried it in the back of the net.

Just minute later, several players collided on a Saint Louis FC corner and the referee awarded a third penalty of the match. Ambersley stepped up again, but Kevin Corby guessed right and stopped the shot.

The half ended with Charleston winning 2-1.

The teams traded chances in a wide open second half. Then in the 83rd minute, Sam Fink headed in a cross from Patrick Doody, tying the game 2-2. It was Fink’s third goal of the season, each of them headers.

With the game hanging in the balance, Aaron Horton subbed on for Ambersley in the 90th minute.

Four minutes into stoppage time, Saint Louis FC earned a last chance corner. Mike Roach sent in a cross that was headed away to Horton. The 23-year-old took a touch off the chest and half volleyed into the side of the net.

Two minutes later, the ref would blow the whistle for full time, 3-2 to Saint Louis FC. The 4,064 fans in attendance erupted in euphoria.

Saint Louis FC are back in action on Saturday, as they take on the Richmond Kickers on the road. Kick off is set for 6:00 PM CST and can be watched live on youtube.


Main Photo via James Musa, Saint Louis FC


More Posts

Send Us A Message