Another day, another transfer… FC Bayern Munich fans woke up last Thursday to rumors that Arturo Vidal’s agent Felicevich was at Munich. Today, those rumors have now become fact as Juventus FC, Vidal’s now-former club and Bayern have agreed on a £28 million transfer fee for Vidal who signs a four-year-deal. After four years at Juventus, the 28-year-old is looking for a new career path especially after winning all last four Serie A titles. As Juventus were runner-ups in the 2014-15 Champions League season, Vidal’s aggressive and tenacious style of play was noticed around the football world.
— Marcus Christenson (@m_christenson) July 20, 2015
The Chilean International is a midfielder and was surely signed as a replacement for Bayern’s FüßballGott Bastian Schweinsteiger who moved to Manchester United not a week ago. Nevertheless Schweinsteiger is a legend and Vidal will have to go to extremes to prove himself in the first team as the German did. It seems like an odd signing because Pep Guardiola’s team has several overqualified and talented midfielders. Most of Bayern’s injured players are now back on the pitch, and one should wonder where Vidal would fit in such a large squad. Bayern’s midfielders are: Thiago, Douglas Costa, Xabi Alonso, Mario Götze, Sebastian Rode, Thomas Müller, Joshua Kimmish, Julian Green, and Pierre-Emile Højbkerg.
Vidal has also been the hero of the Chile National Team alongside Alexis Sánchez as they won the 2015 Copa América just this month defeating Lionel Messi’s Argentina. Vidal scored four goals in the tournament to help bring his team to victory. But during that tournament, not to forget, Vidal was charged with drunk driving and suffered minor injuries, but then apologized to his fans and team. Let’s hope, Vidal will stay on a good path and avoid such behavior in the future.
Vidal will surely be an asset to the Bavarian Giants. He is able to play different positions and can give assists both to defenders and attackers. He is known for his intercepting passes and winning back possession skills. Vidal has been known to be one of the best players in the world, he has technique, stamina, pace, vision and an eye for goal. He is also an accurate penalty kick tacker and might challenge Müller for the first-choice penalty shooter for Bayern.
Here are 10 interesting things you might not have known about Arturo Vidal:
- He used to play in the Bundesliga with Bayer Leverkusen
- His transfer to Leverkusen broke the previous national record($11 million transfer fee for Vidal)
- He topped the assist charts of the Bundesliga in the 2010-11 season with 11 assists
- Bayern has previously shown interest in the Chilean before his move to Juventus in 2011
- Vidal was an important part of the 2011-12 Scudetto winning side as Juventus went undefeated the whole season
- He has an off-field love for horse-racing
- In the 2014-15 season, Vidal began to play more advanced roles: midfield box-to-box role, attacking midfielder and wide midfielder
- Vidal was named on the 10-man shortlist for the 2015 UEFA Best Player in Europe Award
- He featured alongside Messi in the Central and South American cover of FIFA 14.
- He was chosen in Copa América’s 2015 Team of the Tournament