UFC 188 is not one of the biggest cards in UFC history. It is also not being held in a city that has yet to see a UFC event take place, as Mexico City hosted UFC 180: Werdum vs. Hunt.
The card does feature some big names in the sport: UFC Heavyweight Champion Cain Velasquez, Interim Champion Fabricio Werdum, Gilbert Melendez, Eddie Alvarez, Kelvin Gastelum and Nate Marquardt.
Then why is it that there are so many big name UFC fighters that are attending the event?
These fighters are either helping out a teammate prepare for a fight at UFC 188, are a UFC fighter of Mexican or Hispanic descent or have a particular interest in the outcome of a fight.
Just one look at any MMA website or just by watching UFC Embedded and it seems like there are UFC fighters and notable personalities everywhere.
Here is a list of the fighters that are attending UFC 188:
– Chris Weidman (UFC Middleweight Champion)
– Daniel Cormier (UFC Light-Heavyweight Champion)
– Rafael Dos Anjos (UFC Lightweight Champion)
– Junior Dos Santos (Former UFC Heavyweight Champion)
– Anthony Pettis (Former UFC Lightweight Champion)
– Luke Rockhold (UFC #1 Middleweight Contender)
– Joseph Benavidez (#2 UFC Flyweight Contender)
– Andrei Arlovski (Former UFC Heavyweight Champion and #4 Contender)
– Nate Diaz (UFC Lightweight)
– Jake Shields (WSOF Welterweight, Former UFC/Strikeforce Fighter)
– Mike Brown (Former WEC Champion and current UFC Featherweight)
– Alexa Grasso (Invicta FC Strawweight)
– Irene Aldana (Invicta FC Bantamweight)
– Juan Manuel Marquez (Mexican World Championship Boxer)
– Antonio Sabato Jr. (American Actor and Model)
There are plenty of big names attending the event as three current UFC champions (Weidman, Cormier and Dos Anjos) and two former champions (Dos Santos and Pettis) will be apart of the crowd or behind the scenes in the locker rooms.
The UFC 188 prelims start at 7:00pm EST on Fight Pass and FX. The main card for UFC 188 begins at 10:00pm EST.
*This list will be updated during the event