Wales v Argentina ends in stalemate despite red card

Wales v Argentina has always produced some quality rugby, and today retained that reputation. Robert Rees brings you all the latest news and reaction live from Cardiff.

Wales 20 Argentina 29

With 9 starting players amongst those who defeated the All Blacks last autumn, this was never going to be an easy task for Wales who were missing a heavy proportion of their squad through Lions selection or injury.

It was Wales who were to have the early pressure, however, securing back-to-back five-meter lineouts, squandering both opportunities. Wales’ early pressure saw them have a shot at goal following a scrum penalty, but Sheedy pushed it just wide, only to go back down their end to concede three points.

The penalty fest continued and shortly after Sheedy finally got himself, and Wales, off the mark.

Los Pumas ill-discipline continued as they triple-stacked penalties, allowing Sheedy to nail his second penalty of the afternoon.

A scrappy first half ensued with both Dillon Lewis and Nahuel Tetax Chaparro seeing yellow cards for infringements at the scrum.

Madness had erupted in Cardiff, Juan Mallia hit Kieran Hardy high off a restart and saw red. Argentina temporarily down to 13. However, the lack of yet another man galvanized the visitors, who leveled after 34 minutes.

Argentina had the last laugh of the first half when totemic captain Pablo Matera drove his way over from close range to secure Argentina a seven-point lead at the break.

Half time; Wales 6-13 Argentina

Argentina came out firing on all cylinders, scoring quickly after some heavy pressure on the welsh defence. Centre Jeronimo De La Fuente going under the posts.

Wales finally crossed the whitewash following some clever phase work inside the Argentina 22. Will Rowlands crossing for his second of the series.

Wales finally took a grip of the game when Tomos Williams and Jarrod Evans came off the bench. The former bagging a quick solo effort, the latter converting it to level the scores at 20-20.

Wales pressure continued and despite another missed penalty from the visitors, the ball was kicked out with the honours shared.


Robert Rees was accredited by the Welsh Rugby Union, on behalf of the Last Word on Sport network.


“Main photo credit”