The current coronavirus pandemic certainly struck the world by surprise. The high
infectivity and severity of this new influenza-like disease are forcing all governments to
put a pause on both global and local events all around the world, due to the rapid
worldwide spread of COVID19.
It is said that we have not seen a pandemic like this one since the Spanish Flu, around 100 years ago in 1918, where millions have been killed by the deadly influenza virus- hence why strict measures are being taken all around. The social distancing measures taken by governments and organizations all over the world are affecting both worldwide and local rugby championships, and are even hitting the sports betting industry where it hurts. If you want to learn more about rugby betting, betboss.com can teach you all about the industry, and you can even try it out.
Rugby tournament casualties
Major League Rugby for starters have suspended their season, affecting teams all
around. Alongside the events that are cancelled, there are women’s and men’s
World Cup regional qualifiers, Sevens Series events in Paris & London, the final
men’s Sevens Challenger Series, the women’s Sevens Series tournament in
Canada, and the World Rugby Under-20’s Championship in Italy in June and July.
Besides that, World Cup qualifiers, and June’s Olympic qualifiers are “under review”.
This certainly is a big blow for the sports industry as we all know that all its revenue
is sourced mainly from the big games and events. With the lack of ticket sales and
game views, it’s going to be hard times for the industry. But we are sure that once
this problem is finished they will come back with a bang. Rugby fans from all over will
be eager to watch the first game in months and sales and revenue will skyrocket.
Other than rugby, here are a few more sports which are also being put on hold due
to the current situation:
– esports league teams all around stood at home due to cancelled events.
– Hockey in Canada cancels all national championships until further notice.
– NHL suspends 2019-20 season,
– ECHL suspends 2019-20 season.
– World women’s hockey championship March 31 to April 10 in Halifax and Truro, N.S., cancelled.
– American Hockey League suspends 2019-20 season.
– Major League Soccer suspends season for 30 days
– Major League Baseball cancels the rest of spring training and suspends the start of the regular season by at least two weeks
– NBA suspends season, impacting defending champion Toronto Raptors. Team’s players, coaches and staff go into self-isolation following game in Utah where player tests positive for COVID-19.
– National Basketball League of Canada suspends 2019-20 season.
Main image credit: Embed from Getty Images