Day 2 of Formula 2 pre-season testing finished as day 1 star Theo Pourchaire struggled to find similar success.
The second of pre-season testing commenced as drivers continued to test different setups with just a few weeks until the start of the 2023 season. Day 1 star Theo Pourchaire found himself far off the top times as Frederik Vesti and Richard Verschoor took the honors on Tuesday.
Morning Session (AM)
Drivers began focusing on race runs during the morning since track conditions will be similar to the Feature Race in Bahrain. PREMA’s Vesti set the fastest time right at the start. Setting himself as a title contender by going two seconds faster than Ralph Boschung in second place. Trident’s Roman Stanek caused a red flag when he stopped at Turn 6 with an hour and a half remaining. Kush Maini clocked in the most laps with 50.
- Frederik Vesti (PREMA) – 1.44.234
- Ralph Boschung (Campos Racing) – 1.46.181
- Arthur Leclerc (DAMS) – 1.46.516
- Theo Pourchaire (ART Grand Prix) – 1.46.633
- Amaury Cordeel (Virtuosi Racing) – 1.46.714
- Ayumu Iwasa (DAMS) – 1.46.815
- Jack Doohan (Virtuosi Racing) – 1.47.458
- Enzo Fittipaldi (Rodin Carlin) – 1.47.648
- Kush Maini (Campos Racing) 1.47.663
- Ollie Bearman (PREMA) – 1.47.927
TOP TEN – END OF MORNING SESSION 🏁
Frederik Vesti 📸
Oliver Bearman#F2 #F2Testing pic.twitter.com/dnrwBhUZVd
— Formula 2 (@Formula2) February 15, 2023
Afternoon Session (PM)
Two red flags interrupted the session with the first one caused by Theo Pourchaire who would finish the session 13th fastest. The second was caused by Trident driver Clement Novalak with nine minutes remaining. 2022 Formula 3 champion Victor Martins found himself shy of Verschoor by just 0.008 seconds. Rookie and DAMS driver Arthur Leclerc has been impressive the past couple of days finishing in the top five in every session so far.
- Richard Verschoor (VAR) – 1.42.140
- Victor Martins (ART Grand Prix) – 1.42.148
- Dennis Hauger (MP Motorsport) – 1.42.378
- Arthur Leclerc (DAMS) – 1.42.437
- Ralph Boschung (Campos Racing) – 1.42.489
- Jack Doohan (Virtuosi Racing) – 1.42.523
- Ayumu Iwasa (DAMS) – 1.42.617
- Ollie Bearman (PREMA) – 1.42.640
- Enzo Fittipaldi (Rodin Carlin) – 1.42.659
- Kush Maini (Campos Racing) – 1.42.700
With day 2 of F2 testing completed, the final sessions get underway tomorrow as drivers continue to prepare for the season opener in March.