Happy Football Friday. Did you save the spinach and caramelized onion sliders recipe? This week we have a simple make-ahead crockpot meaty treat. It is one of my favorites go-to recipes. It is easy, tasty, and it travels well. I don’t remember where I first got this recipe. However, everyone I have made it for has loved it. I hope y’all enjoy it as well.
Football Friday Tailgate Recipe: Root Beer BBQ Pulled Pork
- 1 boneless pork shoulder butt roast or tenderloin (3 to 4 pounds)
- Root Beer 1 can (12 ounces)
- 1 bottle (18 ounces) of your favorite barbecue sauce
- 12 Kings Hawaiian slider rolls, split
- Tony Catchers Creole Seasoning
- Place roast in a 4- or 5-qt. slow cooker.
- Add root beer.
- Sprinkle with Tony Catchers Creole Seasoning.
- Cook, covered, on low until meat is tender, 8-10 hours.
- Remove roast; cool slightly. Save 2 cups of cooking juices.
- Shred pork with two forks; return to slow cooker.
- Stir in barbecue sauce.
- Cook, covered until heated through, about 30 minutes.
- Serve on slider rolls or see options below.
- If it becomes too thick add the reserved cooking juices as needed.
Why We Use Root Beer
Root beer is lightly acidic, and that acid breaks down the tough fibers in the meat, which tenderizes it. The sweetness of the soft drink complements the pork without adding a root beer flavor.
Serve on a slider roll topped with crunchy coleslaw. Also serves well on top of the coleslaw sans slider roll.
On The Menu
Up next week we have a variety of dips. I dip. You dip. We dip. Trying to break them down for y’all. See you next Friday for another tasty tailgate treat.