Bianca Andreescu Withdraws from Her Next Three Tournaments

Bianca Andreescu in action at the WTA Phillip Island Trophy

Bianca Andreescu confirmed today to the Canadian Press, in an email from her agent Jonathan Dasnieres de Veigy, that due to a leg injury the World #8 will miss her next three events–in Adelaide, Doha, and Dubai. Andreescu’s plan is to be ready to return to play at the Miami Masters, which begins on March 23.

Her agent said the injury is not serious and the decision to pull out was in regards to the longevity of her career. She missed 15 months due to a torn meniscus she suffered at the WTA Tour Finals in Asia in 2019. Andreescu made her return at the Australian Open, losing in the second round to Hsieh Su-Wei of Taiwan.

Bianca Andreescu returns in 2021

The following week she made it all to the way to the semifinals of the Phillip Island Trophy. All of her matches there went three sets, and she eventually fell to Marie Bouzkova of the Czech Republic.

Andreescu’s run at the Australian Open was hampered by the fact she was stuck in hard quarantine for 14 days due to a positive case on her flight from Dubai. Additionally, her coach Sylvain Brunneau tested positive upon arrival. He said he had no idea how he got it and had previously tested negative to get on the flight.

Due to the pandemic the rankings were frozen, hence Andreescu kept her spot in the Top 10. She was obviously hoping to have a good year, and she is trending in the right direction. We will have to see what happens when it’s time to play in Florida.

She was thrilled to be back playing tennis competitively, and even mentioned in her pre-Australian Open media availability that she was looking forward to getting back on court and battling it out for a good result in the first Grand Slam of the season.

Main Photo from Getty.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.