Renault apologises for Verstappen retirement and pledges to set a “course of action”

Cyril Abiteboul has confirmed that Renault will take a “course of action” following Max Verstappen’s engine failure at Sunday’s Belgian Grand Prix for Red Bull Racing.

Renault apologises for Verstappen retirement and pledges to set a “course of action”

Verstappen’s retirement at Spa marked his fourth technical-related retirement of 2017. Two further retirements mean that the Dutch teenager has failed to finish six races overall, with only 12 races being contested so far this season.

Post-race, Red Bull’s team principal, Christian Horner, took to the press to say that Renault is providing the Austrian outfit with a “below par” service, and said that the manufacturer needs to “sort it out”.

The Managing Director of the French outfit, Cyril Abiteboul, responded to this, apologising to Verstappen and Red Bull Racing for the situation and promised to resolve the reliability issues: “An electronic systems issue seems to be at the heart of this problem,” he said, taking of Verstappen’s latest DNF. “I personally apologise to Red Bull Racing, and more specifically to Max and his many fans who are as disappointed as we are.

“We will work closely with RBR to define a course of action and a roadmap to eradicate issues such as this one which meant they couldn’t harness their package’s potential.”

Verstappen commented on his latest retirement to say that it was “very demotivating,” and that it cannot be just down to “bad luck.” At this weekend’s Italian Grand Prix, the 19 year old faces a grid penalty due to an anticipated power unit change.
Main Photo
Embed from Getty Images


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.