2023 F2 pre-season testing commenced with Sauber Academy driver and title-contender Theo Pourchaire going fastest in both sessions.
Sharing the stage with the Formula 3 crowd, Formula 2 began pre-season testing in Bahrain where the season opener will take place in a few weeks. Split into two sessions, each one lasting two and a half hours, 2022’s runner-up Theo Pourchaire set the fastest time in both. Here is a look at the top ten fastest drivers from each session.
Morning Session (AM)
MP Motorsport driver Jehan Daruvula was eager to exit the pits as the first to set a time. Rookie and Rodin Carlin driver Zane Maloney brought out the only red flag of the session but was able to recover to eighth. Pourchaire and Daruvala swapped times before the Frenchman eventually gained the edge all the way to the checkered flag. PREMA and rookie driver Ollie Bearman was keen to learn the new car as he clocked in 37 laps – the most out of everyone. Ayumu Iwasa, Victor Martins, and Kush Maini all set the exact same time to round out the top ten.
- Theo Pourchaire (ART Grand Prix) – 1.45.226
- Jehan Daruvala (MP Motorsport) – 1.45.574
- Ralph Boschung (Campos Racing) – 1.45.652
- Enzo Fittipaldi (Rodin Carlin) – 1.45.816
- Arthur Leclerc (DAMS) – 1.45.902
- Dennis Hauger (MP Motorsport) – 1.45.908
- Zane Maloney (Rodin Carlin) – 1.45.981
- Ayumu Iwasa (DAMS) – 1.46.089
- Victor Martins (ART Grand Prix) – 1.46.089
- Kush Maini (Campos Racing) – 1.46.089
Pourchaire puts himself on top on day one! 🙌
Find out how he did it 📰⬇️#F2 #F2Testinghttps://t.co/ic2kZLfWYT
— Formula 2 (@Formula2) February 14, 2023
Afternoon Session (PM)
As the sun set across Bahrain, the temperature cooled the track, resulting in times constantly shifting. Maloney and Fittipaldi shortly topped the timings for Rodin Carlin but were quickly shoved off by Vans Amersfoort Racing’s Richard Verschoor. PREMA driver Frederik Vesti was the cause of a red flag within the last hour of testing. Following the resumption, six drivers traded the fastest lap. with Pourchaire once again topping the group.
- Theo Pourchaire (ART Grand Prix) – 1.42.165
- Richard Verschoor (VAR) – 1.42.293
- Arthur Leclerc (DAMS) – 1.42.471
- Ralph Boschung (Rodin Carlin) – 1.42.569
- Ayumu Iwasa (DAMS) – 1.42.669
- Enzo Fittipaldi (Rodin Carlin) – 1.42.739
- Jack Doohan (Virtuosi Racing) – 1.42.753
- Jehan Daruvala (MP Motorsport) – 1.42.766
- Dennis Hauger (MP Motorsport) – 1.42.782
- Isack Hadjar (Hitech Pulse-Eight) – 1.42.987
With the first day of testing finished, there is still a lot to learn over the next two days. Check back in tomorrow as LWOS provides updates on day two timings and a breakdown of the sessions.