After Will Power took a dive into both the fountain and the championship lead in Detroit, the IndyCar Series continues its streak of Midwest races as it returns to Wisconsin’s Road America for the Sonsio Grand Prix at Road America.
In his post-Detroit press conference, Power put it simply.
“I don’t have to put anything up on the board,” he said. “I could stop right now.”
Clearly, he’s not stopping any time soon, but after his redemption win at Belle Isle, the 2014 series champion looks to put up a good result on said board at Road America.
Alex Palou, a driver rumored for the third Arrow McLaren SP seat in 2023, comes into the race as last year’s winner. After a poor performance in Detroit, he will certainly be looking to improve upon his current fourth-place standing in the championship. Another driver struggling as of late is Scott McLaughlin, the early championship leader who finished 19th in Detroit after going a lap down early.
Someone else to watch for is Alexander Rossi, who enters this weekend seventh in the standings, after his valiant second-place effort at Belle Isle. Rossi, who’s in his final stretch of races with Andretti Autosport before moving over to Arrow McLaren SP, next season, has three top-10s in the past four years and has only finished below 15th twice in seven starts in Elkhart Lake.
Race Details: Grand Prix of Road America
Race Length: 55 laps, 222.64 miles (358.308 km)
Previous Winner: Palou, Chip Ganassi Racing
Lap Record: 1:41.874, Alex Zanardi, 1998
2021 Pole Position: 1:46.0186, Josef Newgarden, Team Penske
Most Wins: Mario Andretti (1983,1984,1987) and Emerson Fittipaldi (1986,1988,1992)
How to Watch (All Times in EST)
- Practice 1: Friday, 6/10 – 4:25 p.m. on Peacock
- Practice 2: Saturday, 6/11 – 10:45 a.m. on Peacock
- Qualifying: Saturday, 6/11 – 1:45 p.m on Peacock
- Sonsio Grand Prix at Road America: Sunday, 6/12 – 12:30 p.m. on NBC
For the 2022 season, IndyCar launched IndyCar Live!, which is a subscription-based streaming service that brings live streaming of all IndyCar and Indy Lights sessions to countries without traditional IndyCar TV broadcasting contracts.
For a full list of IndyCar Live! availability by country, click here.
Five Questions for Road America
- Can Power continue his run of consistency?
- How will Andretti recover from a less than stellar showing in Detroit?
- With his seat potentially on the line, how will Felix Rosenqvist perform under pressure?
- After a strong performance while injured in Detroit, does Kyle Kirkwood keep up the momentum?
- Does Dale Coyne Racing continue their strong run into Wisconsin?
TOP IMAGE: James Black/Penske Entertainment