Sebastian Vettel finished on top of the time charts at the Belgian GP at the Spa-Francorchamps circuit on Saturday. The 60-minute long third free practice session started under clear skies and cool conditions. The air temperature was 13 degrees C and the track temperature was 24 degrees C. The Pirelli tyre choice at this race is the white- striped medium tyres, yellow- striped soft tyres, and red- striped supersoft tyres.
Belgian GP – Sebastian Vettel Leads Ferrari 1-2 in FP3
The main takeaways of this session were:
- The two Ferrari drivers, Sebastian Vettel and Kimi Raikkonen, topped the timesheets for a Ferrari 1-2.
- Mercedes drivers, Lewis Hamilton and Valtteri Bottas, were third and fourth.
- Very little separated the top 3 drivers with a mere 0.137s between them.
- The championship contenders Vettel and Hamilton both have a shot at pole position, but Raikkonen could surprise.
- Bottas will start at the back of the grid because of engine penalties, so his qualification simulations were minimal.
- The Red Bull drivers, Max Verstappen and Daniel Ricciardo, were fifth and sixth, but well off the pace.
- With less than 10 minutes of the session remaining, Stoffel Vandoorne brought out the red flag as he spun into the barriers. The horror weekend for the Belgian at his home Grand Prix continued.
- With less than two minutes to go, the session was restarted. All 19 cars, except for Vandoorne, went out to try to get one final lap in.
- Charles Leclerc was the “best of the rest” at P7.
- Racing Points Force India was impressive with Sergio Perez and Esteban Ocon P8 and P10 respectively.
- Nico Hulkenberg was ninth and completed the top 10 positions
The Last Word: On the longest track on the F1 calendar, the Ferrari drivers and Hamilton are extremely close on one lap pace. The driver who delivers the error-free flying lap in Q3 is most likely to take pole position.
Results of Belgian GP Free Practice Session 3 :
|5||33||Red Bull Racing TAG Heuer||1:44.048||+1.387s||10|
|6||3||Red Bull Racing TAG Heuer||1:44.479||+1.818s||13|
|8||11||Force India Mercedes||1:45.341||+2.680s||10|
|10||31||Force India Mercedes||1:45.485||+2.824s||13|
|15||10||Scuderia Toro Rosso Honda||1:46.182||+3.521s||16|
|16||28||Scuderia Toro Rosso Honda||1:46.259||+3.598s||17|