Philadelphia Union Draw With Toronto FC in the Frozen Tundra

Spread the love

In a rematch from their 2016 MLS Cup playoff match-up, the Philadelphia Union squared off against Toronto FC. The game would be among the coldest in Talen Energy Stadium history as wind chills drove the temperatures down to 18 degrees, a tough game to play for any team.

Philadelphia Union Draw With Toronto FC in the Frozen Tundra

The Union traveled to Vancouver last week where they picked up a 0-0 draw. Toronto also drew last week against Real Salt Lake. Derrick Jones, Haris Medunjanin, Jay Simpson, and Oguchi Onyewu made their MLS debuts for the Union. Jones would become the first player in Union history to play in the academy, then USL affiliate Bethlehem Steel, and then the first team.

Starting Lineups

Here’s how both teams looked Saturday night.

Philadelphia Union

Rosenberry – Marquez – Onyewu – Fabinho
Medunjanin – D.Jones
Herbers – Bedoya – Pontius


Hagglund – Moor – Zavaleta
Morrow – Vazquez – Bradley – Cooper – Endoh
Giovinco – Altidore

The Union came out the gate very strong in the first half. The team had two crosses between the sixth and eighth minutes that looked promising. They were¬†promptly rewarded as in the tenth minute when Simpson headed in a weak ball in the box to give the Union a 1-0 lead. It was Simpson’s first career MLS goal after being signed from Leyton Orient in England.

In the 18th minute, a free kick was given to Toronto about 19 yards from the goal. Italian superstar Sebastian Giovinco stepped up to take the free kick and kicked it into the Union wall. It was a chance wasted for Toronto.

In the 28th minute, the Union’s lone goal scorer Jay Simpson was subbed off for C.J. Sapong with an apparent injury. Five minutes later, Fabian Herbers was pulled down inside the box by Toronto’s Nick Hagglund. Alejandro Bedoya took the penalty kick and put it off the cross bar. Still, it remained a 1-0 game in the Unions favor. Giovinco was subbed off in the 45th minute with an injury. Shortly after that, referee Mark Geiger gave a penalty to Toronto. Jozy Altidore converted from the spot and tied the game up 1-1

The second half started out with the momentum in Toronto’s favor from the penalty. In the 60th minute, a double save from Clint Irwin kept the game 1-1. In the 70th minute, a quick restart for Toronto led to an over the top ball to Justin Morrow, who in turn slotted it home to give Toronto the 2-1 lead.

Not a minute later, Sapong evened up the game after taking a touch past Irwin and lightly kicking it home. In the 81st minute, Bedoya hit the post again on a shot from a through ball, making it two posts on the night. That would be the last dangerous play in the game and it would subsequently end 2-2.

The Union travel down to Orlando next Saturday to play Orlando City SC. They currently sit on two points from two games and look for their first win in a tough stadium.