2022 has seen a fantastic year of rugby, with many ups and downs. What better way to avoid falling out with your family over Monopoly than to do it with our Christmas quiz instead. Let us know your scores!
All answers are at the bottom, so no cheating.
All questions in this round are from the past 12 months, so get your memory caps on!
- Ireland won back-to-back tests in New Zealand during their summer tour, but how many years had it been since the All Blacks had last suffered two consecutive home losses?
- How many women were on the field (excluding the officials) at the final whistle of the 2022 Women’s World Cup final?
- Who were the only unbeaten international men’s side?
- Which former international replaced Eddie Jones as England Head Coach?
- Which South American side achieved qualification for their first ever World Cup?
- Which two Gallagher Premiership clubs were removed from the league after falling into financial difficulties?
- Who won the World Rugby women’s Try of the Year award for her effort vs Canada, just six months after breaking her leg?
- Who were the final qualifiers for the 2023 Rugby World Cup?
- Who picked up their first ever victories over both Italy and Wales?
- Which side won the 2021/22 Top14 title?
Can you guess the rugby union logos from past and present?
Rugby union – General knowledge round
- Who was the top try scorer at the 2019 Rugby World Cup?
- Who’s the top point scorer in World Cup history?
- England have the longest winning streak in Six Nations history, but how many games does it include?
- The Sunwolves Super Rugby side were based in which city?
- Who were the winners of the inaugural Heineken Cup?
- Which side holds the infamous record of achieving 3 Champions Cup finals without winning any?
- Which four clubs have won both the Challenge and Champions Cup’s?
- Who is the top try scorer in British & Irish Lions history?
- Which Welsh international toured as a Lions player in three separate decades?
- Who are the youngest Gallagher Premiership side?
Rugby union players – Picture round
Rugby union trivia
- What year did rugby union turn professional?
- In which English city did Japan famously beat the Springboks?
- Which country usually performs the Sipi Tau?
- Who is the most capped men’s player, and how many caps does he have?
- Which city did Ireland record their first victory over the All Blacks in?
- Which coach became the first man to oversee a World Cup victory in both the men and women’s category?
- How many players have scored 1,000 test match points? (Point for each)
- Who scored rugby union’s first six-point try, in a trial in 2015?
- Which South African city are the reigning United Rugby Championship winners, The Stormers from?
- Who are the most successful Gallagher Premiership side, with 11 titles?
Here are all your answers for the above sections. How well did you do?
- 24 years
- Steve Borthwick
- Worcester & Wasps
- Abby Dow
International logo round
Top row: New Zealand, Australia, South Africa, Ireland, England
2nd row: France, Wales, Argentina, Scotland, Samoa
3rd row: Italy, Fiji, Japan, Tonga, Georgia
Bottom row: Canada, USA, Romania, Russia, Namibia
Rugby union – General knowledge round
- Josh Adams
- Jonny Wilkinson, 277
- Clermont Auvergne
- Bath, Northampton Saints, Leinster, Wasps
- Tony O’Reilly (6)
- Dai Young
- London Irish (1898)
Rugby union – Players picture round
- Cherif Traore
- Chris Robshaw
- Will Jordan
- Matt Giteau
- Akapusi Qera
- Campese Ma’afu
- Andy Farrell
- Kevin Mealamu
- Huw Bennett
- Bryan Habana
Rugby union trivia round
- 1995, August 27
- Alun Wyn Jones, 167
- Wayne Smith
- Dan Carter, Jonny Wilkinson, Owen Farrell, Neil Jenkins, Ronan O’Gara, Florin Vlaicu, Jonny Sexton, Diego Dominguez.
- Alex Webber
- Cape Town
- Leicester Tigers
“Main photo credit”