With the final round of Gallagher Premiership fixtures complete, the confirmed line-ups of the Heineken Champions Cup and Challenge Cup are finalised. Robert Rees brings you all you need to know about the one-off campaign ahead.
Heineken Champions Cup sides confirmed
There are going 24 teams that make up the top tier tournament for the 2020/21 season.
The clubs will be divided into two pools of 12 by means of a draw and the tournament will be played over eight weekends with four rounds of matches in the pool stage followed by a knockout stage consisting of home and away quarter-finals, semi-finals and the final in Marseille on 22 May 2021, and here they are;
- Leinster, Edinburgh, Ulster, Munster, Scarlets, Glasgow Warriors, Connacht, Dragons.
- Bordeaux-Bègles, Lyon, Racing 92, Toulon, La Rochelle, Clermont Auvergne, Toulouse, Montpellier.
- Exeter Chiefs, Wasps, Bath, Sale Sharks, Bristol Bears, Harlequins, Northampton Saints, Gloucester.
Challenge Cup sides
- Benetton, Cardiff Blues, Zebre, Ospreys.
- Bayonne, Castres, Brive, Pau, Agen, Stade Francais.
- Newcastle Falcons, Leicester Tigers, Worcester Warriors, London Irish.
*The bottom four clubs of each Heineken Champions Cup pool after the pool matches will also join the Challenge Cup last 16.
New format incoming…
No clubs can play another from their own league that is in the same tier as they are in and each pool has 12 teams within it.
The tournament will be played over eight weekends with four rounds of matches in the pool stage followed by a knockout stage consisting of home and away quarter-finals, semi-finals and the final in Marseille on 22 May 2021.
“Main photo credit”