Gallagher Premiership fixtures ready to be released
Darren Childs, CEO of Premiership has today said on Twitter “One step closer [to resuming play]…..stage 2 training begins next week with extensive testing program for player safety…. 6 weeks to first game….fixtures published next week.”
This follows news that Leicester Tigers CEO Andrea Pinchen told fans listening to the Q&A session on Tigers TV earlier this week that they would be facing Exeter in their first game back.
Clubs move to stage 2 protocol
Friday saw the announcement that clubs could advance to stage two of the return to play protocol. What does this mean? Well, stage two allows for the resumption of close contact training where small groups and/or teams will be able to interact much closer to one another.
There have been a multitude of criteria to be met before the Gallagher Premiership sides could advance, but there is plenty of positivity that the league will start on its planned resumption date of August 14.
- All players and support staff undertaking an Education Module which will inform a formal “opt in” process for moving to Stage 2.
- All players and designated support staff undergoing regular COVID-19 testing, and maintaining the high standards of hygiene introduced at training facilities.
- All clubs in conjunction with Premiership Rugby and the Rugby Football Union undertaking a rugby risk assessment to support the mitigation of risk in training.
- The continuation of a daily medical screening for players and support staff, which involves the completion of a symptom checklist and temperature check before entering the training facility.
- A contact tracing protocol which will be supported by GPS data and the videoing of training sessions.
- The provision of Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) appropriate for the setting.
The changes will take place from July 6.
Childs adding, “This stage brings with it a comprehensive COVID-19 testing programme for players and staff and a contact tracing protocol. As part of our commitment to player welfare, all players will be asked whether they would like to opt-in to Stage 2 training, after completing an education module.”
“Main photo credit”