Bored of no rugby action? Then settle down with friends or family and have a go at our BUMPER rugby union quiz. From the north to the south, past and present this quiz covers it all. 50 questions (with picture round) of the best rugby questions going. So, get those pads and pens ready, it’s quiz time!
All the answers will be at the bottom of the article, so no peeking!
1. Who is the most capped Test player of all time, and how many caps does he have?
2. At which English football stadium did Japan defeat South Africa in the 2015 Rugby World Cup?
3. Who is England rugby’s (men) top try-scorer?
4. Who was the first Test player to surpass 1,000 points for his country?
5. When did a try become worth five points?
6. Who scored rugby’s first six-point try during a trial run back in 2015?
7. How many times has France lost in a Rugby World Cup final?
8. Who is the only British and Irish Lions player to score a full house (try, penalty, conversion and drop goal) in a Test match on tour?
9. Which two players have appeared on the most Lions tours? (solely as players)
10. Gethin Jenkins made his Wales debut in the same year that Bill McLaren retired, in what year was it?
How you doing so far? Keep going for a mixture of rugby trivia!
11. Which three players hold the record for most tries in a single World Cup campaign?
12. What is the name of the WRU training base?
13. Which two rugby teams play at Rodney Parade?
14. Who were the first Test match opponents of the British and Irish Lions?
15. Which is the only country to win three matches and fail to progress from a World Cup pool stage?
16. Who was the commentator for the 1973 Barbarians vs New Zealand match in Cardiff which featured the try that is often considered the greatest ever scored?
17. Which country performs the ‘Sipi Tau’ before a game?
18. Who was the first recipient of the EPCR European Player of the Year award, voted as the “best player of the first 15 years of European professional club rugby?”
19. Which city does the Izuzu Southern Kings play out of?
20. Which New Zealand province did Warren Gatland play for?
Here you have to guess the stadiums in which rugby union has been featured.
Hope you got a few of them! It’s back to pen and paper as the trivia questions finish us off.
31. In which city did Ireland inflict their first ever defeat on New Zealand?
32. Which side was Italy’s first victim in their 2000 Six Nations debut?
33. Coronavirus caused the first postponement of Six Nations games since 2001. What occurred that year to delay games until the autumn?
34. Who is the youngest player to reach 50 Tests for his country, aged 23 days and 110 days?
35. Who are the only three players to have featured in five World Cup’s?
36. Who is the only Welsh side to have beaten Toulon, in Toulon, in a European game, winning a Challenge Cup game 19-21?
37. How many All Blacks have been sent off in history? Bonus points for each one you can name.
38. Who has collected the most Heineken Champions Cup pool stage points in history, with 414?
39. Which country scored the first try of Rugby World Cup 2019, and who got the score?
40. Which nation has the most World Cup match wins (24) without reaching a semi-final?
41. Who is World Rugby’s top male try-scorer, with 69 tries in 58 games?
42. Which country has played the most Rugby World Cup games (23) without winning one?
43. Which country holds the record for most World Cup matches in a row without conceding a try, with six?
44. Which player holds the unfortunate record of playing the most international Test matches (108) without scoring a try?
45. Which country played their first Test match against Samoa in 1924, played barefoot and kicked off 7AM local time so the players could go to work afterwards?
46. Which nation bagged the first try bonus point in the Six Nations?
47. Name the only player to have played every minute of England’s triumphant 2003 Rugby World Cup campaign.
48. The 1872 Cup is contested between which two clubs?
49. Who is the youngest player to feature in a World Cup final, aged 20 years and 43 days?
50. Which Springbok ‘dropped’ five goals against England in Paris, in 1999?
Phew! Take a breather, tot up your scores and let us know how you got on, the answers are below and thanks for participating in our rugby union quiz.
- Richie McCaw, 148.
- Amex Stadium.
- Rory Underwood, 50.
- Neil Jenkins.
- Alex Webber for Pontypridd RFC vs Llanelli, Principality Premiership match.
- 3 times, 1987, 1999, 2011.
- Lewis Jones, 1950 vs Australia.
- Mike Gibson and WJ McBride.
- Jonah Lomu (1999), Brian Habana (2007), Julian Savea (2015).
- Vale Resort.
- Dragons and Newport RFC.
- South Africa. They only played provincial sides in their first tour of Australia/New Zealand.
- Japan, 2015.
- Cliff Morgan.
- Ronan O’Gara.
- Port Elizabeth.
- Parc Y Scarlets.
- Kingston Park.
- Eden Park.
- Ellis Park (Emirates Airline Park).
- International Stadium, Yokohama.
- Stade de France.
- Allianz Stadium, Sydney.
- Scotland, 34-20.
- Foot and Mouth disease.
- Vasil Lobzhanidze.
- Brian Lima, Mauro Bergamasco, Sergio Parisse.
- Ebbw Vale RFC.
- 4. Scott Barrett, Sonny Bill Williams, Colin Meads, Cyril Brownlie.
- Russia and Kiril Golosnitsky.
- Daisuke Ohata.
- South Africa.
- Owen Franks.
- Fiji, winning 6-0.
- Lawrence Dallaglio.
- Glasgow Warriors and Edinburgh.
- Jonah Lomu.
- Jannie de Beer.
For more rugby union and league fun and news follow @Rreesrugby, @LWOSRugby and keep an eye on our website.
“Main photo credit”