The three match Australia-Pakistan ODI series begins on 29th March 2022. The two teams have met 104 matches in this format with Australia leading Pakistan 68-32 head-to-head. One match between these two teams have ended in a tie and three in No Results. The first time the two teams played a bilateral series was during the Australia tour of Pakistan in 1982/83.
It was also a three match ODI series, which Pakistan won 2-0. The two teams have also met once in the finals of the World Cup in 1999. Australia won that match by eight wickets to lift their second World Cup trophy. Their last ODI encounter was at the 2019 World Cup in England where Australia won by 41 runs.
Wasim Akram of Pakistan (49 matches) has the most number of appearances in Australia-Pakistan ODIs. He captained Pakistan in 12 of those matches. Imran Khan and Ricky Ponting have captained Pakistan and Australia respectively the most number of times. Both have captained their respective teams 21 times. Before the start of their latest series let us look at some of the key stats of these two teams in ODIs.
Batting Records from Australia-Pakistan ODI Matches
- 369/7 by Australia in 2017 is the highest team total.
- 108 all-out by Pakistan in 2002 is the lowest team total.
- 36 centuries have been scored in Australia-Pakistan ODIs.
- There has been 58 hundred-run partnerships in Australia-Pakistan ODIs out of which 36 were made by Australia and 22 by Pakistan.
- Ricky Ponting has scored the most runs in Australia-Pakistan ODIs with 1107 runs.
- The 179 scored by David Warner of Australia in 2017 is the highest individual score by a player.
- Aaron Finch has scored the most runs scored in one series with 451 runs (Australia v Pakistan ODI Series, 2018/19).
- David Warner has scored the most number of centuries in matches between these two teams – 3.
- Michael Bevan of Australia and Inzamam-ul-Haq of Pakistan have scored the most number of half-centuries – 9.
- Shahid Afridi of Pakistan has hit the most number of sixes in Australia-Pakistan ODIs – 27.
Bowling Records from Australia-Pakistan ODI matches
- Wasim Akram has taken the most number of in matches between the two teams – 67.
- 6/38 by Shahid Afridi in 2009 is the best bowling performance by a player in a match.
- There has been 22 five-wicket hauls in matches between Australia and Pakistan.
- Glenn McGrath of Australia has taken the most number of five-wicket hauls with three.
Wicket-Keeping Records from Australia-Pakistan ODI matches
- Adam Gilchrist of Australia has the most number of dismissals by a wicket-keeper – 44.
- Brad Haddin of Australia in Pakistan in Australia ODI Series, 2009/10 has the most dismissals by a wicket-keeper in a series – 17.
- The most number of dismissals by a wicket-keeper in an innings is five, with this record shared by Moin Khan (in 2000), Adam Gilchrist (in 2002), and Brad Haddin (in 2010).
Fielding Records from Australia Pakistan ODI matches
- Steve Waugh of Australia has taken the most number of catches in matches between the two teams with 19.
- Steven Smith of Australia in 2014/15 and Peter Handscomb in 2018/19 (both in the UAE), have taken the most number of catches a series with six.
Embed from Getty Images