January 17, 2021, 12:28:43 am

News:

SMF - Just Installed!

Most overrated coaches

Started by Zkircher32, September 23, 2020, 08:51:47 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Zkircher32

There are obviously plenty of answers to this one. I always land on the same one. John Calipari. I understand he has a ton of talent on his teams and that makes it hard to develop players. With that being said, it's extremely rare that a player reaches their potential in Lexington. Think of recent teams. Herro, Murray, Bam are all dominating in the playoffs and had a minimal impact at school. Of course everyone gets better, but it's not usually that drastic that quick.

WaldoTerrier

Coach Cal is certainly a popular pick, though it seems maybe he made more of an impact at his prior mid-major stops than at UK? For me, I think that Sean Miller is overrated at Arizona. Everyone seems to pick the Wildcats in their top 25s to start the year and have these grand expectations year in and year out. However, they always end up being above average at best and miss the Tournament or get bounced early.

Nate Freeman

For me it's Jim Boeheim. Syracuse has had some good runs, sure, but they generally narrowly make their way into the tournament. They are also scandal-ridden for seemingly most of the time. He's just not on the level of Coach K and Roy Williams, as some suggest.

Dan Mount

Quote from: Nate Freeman on September 24, 2020, 10:55:55 am
For me it's Jim Boeheim. Syracuse has had some good runs, sure, but they generally narrowly make their way into the tournament. They are also scandal-ridden for seemingly most of the time. He's just not on the level of Coach K and Roy Williams, as some suggest.

All due respect, Boeheim is much better than you think. There have only been two scandals. (The one in the early 90s and then Fab Melo, Southerland). Coach K basically co-opted his 2-3 zone. I love watching them get in because it infuriates the pathetic Doug Gottlieb.
Marketing Manager, Last Word on Hockey

Zkircher32

If there is one thing every college basketball fan (or human) can agree on it's how awful Doug Gottlieb is

Dan Mount

Quote from: Zkircher32 on September 25, 2020, 06:14:58 pm
If there is one thing every college basketball fan (or human) can agree on it's how awful Doug Gottlieb is

I remember he called Syracuse a vile fan base. His reaction to Syracuse getting a 10-seed the year they reached the Final Four was priceless.

Dan Mount

Zkircher32

Other coaches that could be mentioned...Mark Turgeon. One of the worst in college basketball. Maybe Shaka Smart?? Jeff Capel. Great recruiter, bad coach.

RandleRant

Shaka is starting to creep on this list...certainly a great recruiter...but not translating to wins on the court

connordeitrich