Will Martina Navratilova's 74-match winning streak record ever be broken?

Started by Ewan West, September 09, 2020, 07:06:55 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Ewan West

Navratilova holds the record for the longest Open Era singles winning streak - a staggering 74 matches (please have a read of my article on this topic if you're interested: https://lastwordonsports.com/tennis/2020/08/03/the-longest-open-era-tennis-winning-streaks/).
Is it ever likely to be broken? And where does it rank among the greatest tennis records?

RandleRant

After watching a player as dominant as Serena stumble against inferior opponents with a golden opportunity to tie Margaret Court...I'd have to lean no

The consecutive number is so difficult to match now. Like Joe D's 56-game hitting streak

Ewan West

Quote from: Yesh on September 10, 2020, 02:59:41 pm
Does Esther Vergeer not count?
Was just focusing on women's singles and not including women's singles wheelchair competition, but Esther Vergeer's winning streak is definitely one of the greatest records/achievements in all sports.

LWOS_Niklas

"Eliminate the impossible and whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the answer." - Sherlock Holmes

christinaking

I don't think so. The competition looks pretty tough at the moment. I predict that Grand Slams will be split between Naomi Osaka, Bianca Andreescu and Iga Swiatek.

LWOS_Marilee

Assuming we're looking at this record without a gender bias, I think Djokovic was the closest such example we'll see in a while, back when he went like 70-something and two that one year. And even then, I think the amount he won in a row was only around 40. I do not think we'll ever see Martina's record broken. That is a moment that stands in time.
Department Manager, LWOPW

LWOS_Niklas

Quote from: LWOS_Marilee on October 12, 2020, 01:09:20 pm
Assuming we're looking at this record without a gender bias, I think Djokovic was the closest such example we'll see in a while, back when he went like 70-something and two that one year. And even then, I think the amount he won in a row was only around 40. I do not think we'll ever see Martina's record broken. That is a moment that stands in time.

I second this.  It is just not possible anymore, unless the talent pool drastically decreases in the coming years and one player can dominate it.
"Eliminate the impossible and whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the answer." - Sherlock Holmes

LWOS_Marilee

Yeah, the level of play is just too competitive right now. Which, it sucks if you want a streak ender but it's great to be watching as a fan because these matches are a higher caliber than they had been outside of the big 3 in the last few years. The young generation has looked pretty good so far.

Yesh

The current generation of women has lots of really good players but no Serena-level transcendent player. So if one of those arises at a time similar to the talent around the game now... maybe? But probably not.

MichaelMarti

If Serena didn't do it, then I can't see it happening (at least for another 20 years.)

LWOS_Marilee

Quote from: MichaelMarti on October 20, 2020, 10:47:58 pm
If Serena didn't do it, then I can't see it happening (at least for another 20 years.)

Yeah if anyone would have, could have done it, she would have been my pick. How close did she get to it anyway? Anybody know?

LWOS_Niklas

Quote from: LWOS_Marilee on October 21, 2020, 12:07:24 pm
Yeah if anyone would have, could have done it, she would have been my pick. How close did she get to it anyway? Anybody know?

I believe it was 33.  Astounding streak, but nothing on Navratilova's.

MichaelMarti

Quote from: LWOS_Niklas on October 25, 2020, 04:42:59 pm
I believe it was 33.  Astounding streak, but nothing on Navratilova's.

I don't think anyone in this generation will beat that streak, never mind 74

LWOS_Niklas

Quote from: MichaelMarti on October 25, 2020, 06:20:09 pm
I don't think anyone in this generation will beat that streak, never mind 74

Yep! It is out of bounds.