November 27, 2020, 12:13:12 am

News:

SMF - Just Installed!

Why isn't Djokovic as popular as Nadal or Federer?

Started by christinaking, October 16, 2020, 03:42:36 am

Previous topic - Next topic

christinaking

He's got the titles, and is very self-deprecating, so why not the same amount of appreciation as Federer or Nadal?

MichaelMarti

It's a perception issue. Djokovic is seen more as an outsider and he's upsetting players who almost belong more to tennis.

Also, I think his on-court behaviour turns fans off. From his hand gestures to being disqualified for hitting a ball boy, I can understand why some fans don't like him.

LWOS_Niklas

Yeah, he seems to be more outspoken and that's gone against him.  I think it is also down to him coming along after Nadal and Federer had already become this beloved, iconic rivalry.
"Eliminate the impossible and whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the answer." - Sherlock Holmes

LWOS_Marilee

I think it's a couple things. For one, I agree with the interloper argument. Djokovic broke up which was an all time historic competitive rivalry and kinda insinuated himself in there for what some believe was to the detriment of said rivalry. It's also that hes abrasive at an era where people were kinda over that bad boy in tennis phase. Because you looked at Fed and he was pure Euro class and Nadal was a class guy too. Not saying Djokovic isn't perse but I can see how the persona would rub people the wrong way.
Department Manager, LWOPW

MichaelMarti

Quote from: LWOS_Marilee on October 19, 2020, 05:57:46 pm
I think it's a couple things. For one, I agree with the interloper argument. Djokovic broke up which was an all time historic competitive rivalry and kinda insinuated himself in there for what some believe was to the detriment of said rivalry. It's also that hes abrasive at an era where people were kinda over that bad boy in tennis phase. Because you looked at Fed and he was pure Euro class and Nadal was a class guy too. Not saying Djokovic isn't perse but I can see how the persona would rub people the wrong way.

Completely agree

Yesh

A large part of it was that his early career was being the "villain" trying to break through the beloved all-time greats Federer and (to a somewhat lesser extent) Nadal.

MichaelMarti

I personally prefer Nadal and Federer over Djokovic. I feel like Djokovic interrupted a great rivalry by potentially robbing us of more Nadal/ Fed grand slam finals. So that's my reasoning haha

LWOS_Marilee

I feel that. Seems like Djokovic was just a guy in the wrong place at the wrong time. Makes you wonder if he was coming up now with the likes of Thiem, Zherev, etc if he'd get the same treatment. Because I get the sense that fans are just waiting for that next gen to finally break through and don't mind as much now when it's not Fed/Nadal in every final.

MichaelMarti

Quote from: LWOS_Marilee on October 21, 2020, 12:09:08 pm
I feel that. Seems like Djokovic was just a guy in the wrong place at the wrong time. Makes you wonder if he was coming up now with the likes of Thiem, Zherev, etc if he'd get the same treatment. Because I get the sense that fans are just waiting for that next gen to finally break through and don't mind as much now when it's not Fed/Nadal in every final.

Completely agree. I also feel like there's a lot of frustration about the fact that none of these new guys are really as captivating as Nadal/ Fed and that we probably won't see another player like them for a long time. There isn't really a poster boy for the sport. If Djokovic was coming through now, he would be the face of tennis and naturally more liked

LWOS_Marilee

Quote from: MichaelMarti on October 21, 2020, 01:44:49 pm
Completely agree. I also feel like there's a lot of frustration about the fact that none of these new guys are really as captivating as Nadal/ Fed and that we probably won't see another player like them for a long time. There isn't really a poster boy for the sport. If Djokovic was coming through now, he would be the face of tennis and naturally more liked

Oh yeah, Djokovic would def be the star of this gen if he was coming up now. There's a couple guys I think are captivating but not in a way that Nadal/Fed are. And they don't have the wins to go along with that. If one of them can have some sustained success, I can see things changing as far as who the next big thing in tennis is. But I agree that we'll never quite see players like Fed and Nadal. There was just something special there.